《 49 》

Around an hour later, Luciano, Isabella, and me had already left for Spain

Angelo ended up giving me two fully-loaded guns and a gas bomb just in case, which I hid inside my bag and in my waistband. He was being way too paranoid with the three of us going to Spain alone, but I managed to convince him to stay calm.

"Gabs, we're about to land." Luciano called out to me, making me look up from my bag.

"Alright," I sighed as I sat down beside Isabella and buckled in.

My eyebrows furrowed when I spotted the way she fiddled with her fingers. I reached for her hands and caught her attention.

"Hey, it's going to be alright..." I smiled.

"Just don't let me go in there all alone..." She muttered, looking down at her lap.

"Hey, we're not leaving your side, love..." Luciano whispered as he moved a strand of Isabella's hair behind her ear.

"We promise."

. . .

I sighed, crossing a leg over the other in frustration.

We had arrived at the clinic around two hours ago, yet it wasn't our turn yet. Isabella's appointment was supposed to be at 9am.

Speaking about her, she even fell asleep in Luciano's lap as we waited. As for him, he had the tightest grip around her, holding her close to his chest as she peacefully slept.

"Miss Aguirre?" A nurse entered the waiting room and called out. I stood up, since Aguirre was the last name that we normally used whenever we had to present our identities in public.

"Yes?" I asked once I walked up to her.

My eyebrows furrowed when I saw her hesitate and look around before addressing me. "You and your sister may pass for the sonogram."

At this, I called out to Luciano who woke up Isabella and approached us so we could follow after the nurse.

We were led to the end of a hall and into a room that had all the necessary equipment, along with three chairs and the hospital bed. The nurse instructed Isabella to slide up her dress until her stomach was fully revealed and then began to apply a gel over it, especially the lower part of her stomach.

It was all going perfectly fine until a suited man entered the room without knocking. He was holding a manila folder and a briefcase, which made me question the reason he was here. With the new presence, the room was filled with a tension that reflected on every one of us.

Isabella's eyes were the first to meet mine, and it was clear she was uncomfortable with the man that randomly entered and sat down in a chair beside the nurse, all while beginning to watch my sister.

On the other side, Luciano tensed next to me, but somehow managed to stay calm through his furrowed eyebrows and clenched jaw. His arms were crossed over his chest and his eyes shifted between the man, the nurse, and Isabella.