《 44 》

With a sigh, I got up from the bed and went for a large t-shirt

With a sigh, I got up from the bed and went for a large t-shirt. Knowing it was Mateo who stood on the other side of my door, I made sure to lock the door to the balcony before going to open the other one.

I just hope he didn't hear anything, especially Angelo's voice. Plus, I felt thankful at the fact he decided to knock instead of walking in, else he would've seen the two of us doing God-knows-what...

And I even gave him the go... What the heck is wrong with me?

By the time he knocked again, I had to push my thoughts away and go answer the door. Once I opened it, Mateo let out a relieved sigh.

"You okay?" He asked as he leaned against the doorframe.

"Yeah." I was aware of the fact I had to act like I didn't know what had happened to me earlier, just so he wouldn't suspect anything.

"Can I... come in?" He rocked on his feet with a much softer look on his face.

"Sure." I stepped aside and waited until he walked in to close the door behind me.

My eyebrows furrowed when he sat down on the edge of my bed and buried his face in his hands. Hesitantly, I made my way over to Mateo and sat beside him.

"You sure you're okay? I can get you anything..." He muttered after raising his head and resting his elbows on his knees. His light blue eyes seemed to be attempting to read my silence.

"I'm fine..." I reassured. "But what exactly happened?" I already heard Angelo's side of the story, now I wanted to hear his.

"Well, a few moments after you left because you had finished eating, I was helping Aurora collect the remaining dishes. Then, out of nowhere we heard D'Amico calling out to you nonstop," He began after sighing. "I decided I'd go check what was going on, and when I got to the office and went inside, he was holding you and patting your cheek. You had already passed out by that time. We... actually, never mind." I raised an eyebrow when he hesitated.

"Did something happen?"

"No, it's nothing, really. Doesn't really matter..."

I narrowed my eyes at him and motioned for him to continue with my hand.

"Then he carried you to the living room. I went and got Luciano and Isabella, who helped with you. According to what he said, it had been severe food poisoning..." He explained as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Do the others know about it?"

"Yeah, I think they already found out..." He bit the corner of his lip the moment his head rotated, and his eyes met mine. "Nathan even went down to the kitchen to get a sample of the food you had left and then go to a lab. According to what Denise told me, of course."

Since I didn't know what to say, I just hummed and reached up to touch my head, which felt like it had a heartbeat of its own.

"You good? Migraine? Fever?" Mateo suddenly blurted, making me flinch and glance at him with squinted eyes.