《 54 》

Not even a stab to the heart could compare to the heaviness I felt in my own

The air was still cold and the sun had barely risen. It was early in the morning, when Isabella had to leave to Rome with Luciano. Oh, and Angelo's mother too, who was still recovering.

"Gabriella." Luciano called out to me and touched my arm so I'd turn away from Angelo. "You might want to say goodbye before we leave."

When Luciano stepped aside, my eyes landed on Isabella, who approached me with a frown in her face. I could tell she was in the verge of tears since her eyes were red and her lower lip trembled.

I went to extend my arms and pull her in, but she raised her index finger and firmly pressed it against my chest.

"Don't you dare die out there." She growled, with her voice cracking at her words.

"I won't. You think I can just leave my little sister behind?" I let out a dry chuckle and smiled through the stray tear that had fallen down my cheek.

After that, she broke into tears and crashed into me, with her arms being wrapped around my shoulders. I kept reminding myself that this was for her safety and that she would be okay, but it hurt. It was painful to say goodbye, even though I had faith I'd see her again in a few days.

My fingers buried in her hair as I held her head close to my shoulder and her waist with my other arm. "I'll see you in a few days." I let out a shaky breath while attempting to comfort and reassure her.

I glanced over her shoulder, and through my tears my eyes landed on Angelo, who was holding his mother like his life depended on it. He placed a soft kiss on her temple before guiding her to the jet, reminding me that it was time for me to let go of my sister too.

"I love you, Isa..." I sighed and kissed her forehead.

"I love you more Gaby..." She whispered once she pulled away and gave me a reassuring smile.

I took her hands firmly in mine before I looked over to Luciano. "You too, Luc."

"Don't worry, the ladies will be just fine with me. If I fail, you can hang me by my toes." He shrugged with a grin, attempting to help and lighten the mood. A few chuckles were heard around us and I couldn't help but join them.

Then, I walked Isabella over to the jet's stairs and waited until she went up and dissapeared inside, followed by Luciano. Once the door closed, I took a few steps back until a pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist from behind.

"We'll see them again," Angelo reassured, pulling me to his chest and allowing my head to rest on his shoulder as his fell over mine. There we remained, watching as the jet slowly began to back away and eventually took off.

The tears finally began to pour as soon as the jet began to dissapear through the golden-looking clouds that reflected the morning sun's light.

Not only was I crying because I had to send them away, but because I felt scared. Terrified, even. The thought that I could die out there didn't bother me, but it was that I'd leave Isabella and would never be able to see her again, nor her kid when it was born. But what if Leonardo found out about the location where we're sending them three? It would be a disaster.