《 21 》

I gave my mother the smallest hug, whispering to her once her grip on me tightened

I gave my mother the smallest hug, whispering to her once her grip on me tightened. "Mamma, abbiamo ospiti..."

[Mom, we have guests...]

She was quick to step back and fix her dress, muttering an apology - which I found unnecessary. I turned around, wrapping my arm around her waist as we faced Gabriella and her bodyguard.

"Mother, this is Gabriella Díaz, Miss Díaz, this is my mother." I introduced them both. My mother walked up to her, taking Gabriella's hand in her own hands after she extended it so my mother would shake it. I couldn't help but notice how Gabriella sent her a helpless smile, looking like she was hurting.

My mother then moved to her bodyguard, gently patting his shoulder and smiling at him, before she walked up to me. She excused herself, before exiting the foyer.

"...Come with me." I offered once my mother was out of my sight. Gabriella and her bodyguard both shared one or two looks before following me.

I led them down a hall that had my office at the end, while matching my pace with theirs. Part of my attention fell on how confident Gabriella seemed, after pushing away that moment in front of my mother. The sound of her heels echoed through the place, a new sound I had to record inside my head, since I already knew what Xiomara's and my mother's sounded like. I also noticed how she seemed extremely close and comfortable with her bodyguard. Who even is he-

We stopped once we were outside my office's door. I opened it, allowing Gabriella and him to enter. Before I followed behind them, I noticed two unfamiliar guards walking up to the door with their weapons ready.

"They're with me." Gabriella said, causing me to turn my head towards her. After quickly eyeing them, I entered and closed the door behind me.

"Please, take a seat." I said, walking around my desk and sitting down on my chair. Gabriella did the same in the chair across from mine, and her bodyguard stepped back towards a couch beside the door, away from us.

My eyes met that one pair of emeralds she calls her eyes, which at the same time looked like they hid something behind their cold and blank stare.

I was snapped out of it when she raised an eyebrow at me. "So, about that deal..." She began, casually looking down at the stuff I had on my desk- which isn't really much-

"Well, I'm willing to provide you with all the help you need with finding your targets." I replied leaning forward on my chair. At this, she narrowed her eyes at me, the corner of her lips twitching.

"If you do, I will help with your own and keep it all a secret between the both organizations." She added, and I could feel her gaze scan me up and down, followed by giving me a look of suspicion.

"And I'll keep your own secret. Once it's all done, we can part ways, and the topic will be left untouched." I finished her sentence, looking her straight in the eye.