The Hardest Part: Tony Stark x Wife!Reader

YN sat in the small office, her hand gripped tightly in Tony's.

"Tony..." YN murmured, swallowing thickly. "If this is-"

"Stop it, YN." Tony shook his head, his hand squeezing YN's tighter. "It won't be. It can't be."

"But if it is..." YN's words cut off as a cough rattled her body, Tony leaning over to rub her back as she tried to catch her breath.

"Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Stark, thank you for coming to see me." Tony sent a tight smile toward the doctor, his hand still rubbing YN's back.

"What's this about?" Tony asked, earning a small glare from YN.

"Tony, be nice." She whispered, wincing as she tried to straighten up.

"It's quite alright, Mrs. Stark. It is very normal to be anxious." YN nodded, finally able to straighten her back. "Unfortunately, the biopsies have come back with some hard to hear news. I'm sorry, Mrs. Stark, you have cancer." YN nodded, clenching her teeth to fight off the wave of emotion flowing through her. "We have plenty of options for treatment, and we have caught this early enough to act on them." Tony's grip on YN's hand grew tight, making the sick woman look to her husband. "I'll give you two a moment." The doctor stood to her feet, nodding her head sympathetically toward the couple.

"Tony, baby? Are you alright?" Tony's brown gaze lifted to meet YN's dull eyes, her lips pulled into a forced smile.

"Am I alright? YN, you just got told you have cancer. Are you alright?" YN gripped both of Tony's hands, trying to comfort him.

"We knew this was coming, deep down." She whispered, forcing back her panic. "We can do this. I'll fight it, for you baby."

---------------------------

YN groaned as she sat back from the toilet bowl, wiping a hand down her face. Her chest ached from the heaving she had been doing for the last hour, and her throat was as dry as sand.

"YN?" Tony walked into the bathroom, a solemn look on his features. YN tried to smile, wincing as her stomach rolled again. "Did you want to try to eat something?"

"I don't want to." YN murmured, resting her head on the toilet seat.

"Baby, you haven't eaten anything at all today." YN groaned, surging forward to heave into the toilet, nothing but saliva coming up. "Even if you throw it up, it might make you feel better."

"Tony, I don't want to." YN sobbed, her eyes closing. "I don't want to, please."

"YN, come on." Tony whispered, sliding down next to her on the floor. "I need you to be strong for me."

"I can't do this. It's too much. I'm in so much pain, Tony. Please." Tony clenched his teeth, looking to the roof to stop tears from falling. "I can't do it."

"Yes, you can. You hear me? You're the strongest person I know, and if anyone can fight this, it's you." He insisted, lifting YN's face and wiping a wiping her chin with a damp towel. "Please, you need to do this for me."

"I don't think I can. I don't think I'm going to win." Tony's lip trembled, his eyes falling closed as he tipped his head to rest his forehead against YN's.

"You will." He whispered, forcing himself to believe it. "You will, because I'm not letting you go." YN sighed, leaning back to look into her husband's eyes. "Can you remember our wedding day? When you were on the phone to Natasha, insisting you'd made the wrong flower choice and you were sure that you'd destroyed the whole day?" YN chuckled, wiping a tear from Tony's cheek. "You were such a drama queen that day, and I knew at that exact moment that I was going to spend the rest of my life with you. Because no matter how petty and strange it sounded to everyone else, I know it was solely because you wanted it perfect for us." YN bit back a sob, replacing instead with a laugh.