Live and Let Go: Stephen Strange x Fiancé !Reader

This was another request from @Ldyleo - hope you enjoy it :) xo

YN cursed, stumbling through the door with a bag of groceries in each hand. She quickly sat them down by the fridge with a grunt of relief, rubbing her red fingers. Looking down at the counter, she frowned at the pile of envelopes, her eyes widening at the large "overdue" stamps crossing each of them. Feeling her heart sink in her chest, YN moved toward the bedroom, holding the envelopes tightly in her grip.

"Stephen?" YN called cautiously, worry about his reaction already eating at her. "Honey, are you awake?"

"Yeah," He responded, earning a small sigh from his fiancé. "I'm here."

YN entered slowly, swallowing over an anxious lump caught in her throat. "Honey, can you tell me what these are?" She asked quietly, placing the letters softy on his lap. "Why is our rent overdue when I gave you the money to pay it?"

Stephen sighed, clenching his teeth as he stared at his lap, where the big, ugly red letters were glaring back at him. YN felt anger and impatience itch at her skin and she had to push her tongue to the top of her mouth to stop any careless words spilling from it.

"I used the money." Stephen said, still avoiding YN's eye. "I used it, okay?" He huffed, shoving the papers forward, making YN jump.

"What did you use it for?" She whispered, her lip trembling slightly due to Stephen being so worked up.

"Do you even have to ask, YN? Are you that stupid?" YN looked down, her heart aching as her fiancé glared at her with distaste.

"You know we don't have the money for you to keep doing this, Stephen." She tried to put on a brave face, her fists clenched at her side. She could understand Stephen's blind will to find something, anything to reverse the damage done to his hands. It had been nothing short of an obsession ever since he was told there was nothing they could medically do to help him. Her eyes dropped to his hands without thinking, the bandaged appendages shaking in his lap.

"What I do with my money is none of your concern, YN." Stephen muttered, turning his head away from her indignantly.

"It is when it's my money as well, Stephen! How can you be so impulsive that you can't see what you're doing is hurting not only our savings for our wedding, now our ability to pay bills and soon it'll be our relationship!" She shouted, throwing her hands up. "You're doing things without even consulting me!"

"Why should I? I already know what will happen. You'll stare at me with those pitiful eyes and sad smile, knowing you can't do anything to help me. And then you'll tell me we'll figure it out 'together'." Stephen responded just as loudly, his aggressive tone shocking YN back a step.

"Won't we?" She murmured, feeling her emotions build in her chest.

"There it is," Stephen let out a humorless laugh. "The waterworks will start and you'll make me feel bad."

"You're being really mean." YN whispered, her cheeks now covered in tears. "Why won't you let me help you-"

"Help me?" Stephen seethed, making the tears fall faster over YN's cheeks. "How can you help me? You can even help yourself."

"I understand you're hurting, and I'm sorry you think I'm not good enough to help you, but you cannot take your pain out on me. I have stood by you for everything, even when you treat me like the dirt on the sole of your shoe, I've been there." Stephen continued to glare at her, subsequently making up her mind. "But I can't do this anymore."

"Oh, you can't?" He chuckled dryly, shaking his head.

"No, I can't." The chuckle in Stephen's throat stopped slowly as he watched YN walk to their closet, reefing out her suitcase as she started filling it with her belongings. "I'm going to stay with my sister in Louisiana, maybe I'll actually have someone that appreciates me there." She said, lifting it up and walking toward the door. "Have a good life Stephen, I'll send someone to collect the rest of my belongings." With that the door slammed shut and Stephen was left staring at the empty room that housed so many memories but now reminded him of everything he just lost.