A Push in the Right Direction: Bruce Banner x Reader

YN slinked into the lab, her hat pulled low on her head as her eyes scanned the room. She grabbed the brim of her cap and pulled in lower over her eyes, stepping past where Tony and Bruce were hovering over a computer.

YN sat down in her desk chair, looking to her screen blankly. Her mind couldn't focus on anything other than the pulsing pain around her face and body.

"Hey, YN!" YN flinched softly as Tony startled her, leaning against her desk. YN winced, looking to her lap to try and avoid the inevitable for a little longer. "Are you hungover?" Tony snickered, raising an eyebrow.

"Uh, something like that." She whispered, scratching the back of her neck. Bruce moved to the other side of YN's desk, a frown on his face.

Finally, Bruce realized what had happened and he bit the inside of his cheek, trying to remain calm. "YN, can you take off your cap, please." He whispered, resting his hand on the young woman's shoulder.

"Banner-"

"YN, take off your cap." Tony demanded, crossing his arms as he too came to his conclusion. YN sighed, her shoulders deflating as she lifted her hat off, displaying her face to the two men. "Jesus fucking Christ, I'm going to kill him."

"Tony-" YN started, biting her lip.

"Stark, take a minute." Tony sent Bruce a glare, crossing his arms defiantly. "Do it." Sighing, Tony left the lab to cool off, his anger setting YN on edge.

"Bruce-" Bruce shushed YN, squatting down next to YN.

"YN, you said he stopped. You said he was getting better." YN bit her busted lip, closing her eyes.

"I thought he was." She whispered, reopening her eyes to meet Bruce's brown one. "He hasn't done this in months."

"You need to get away from him, YN." YN sunk down in her chair, whimpering as her back ached. "Are you hurt anywhere else?" YN nodded, wincing as she stood to her feet. "Can you show me?"

YN sighed, looking around the room to make sure they were alone. YN and Bruce had been friends for years and YN was comfortable with Bruce seeing her half naked so she lifted her shirt off, exposing her top half. Bruce sucked in a calming breath, the look in his eyes making YN's breath halt. "Banner, you with me?"

Bruce nodded, his teeth clenched. "That cut on your hip needs stitches, YN." YN looked down over her torso, her bottom lip trembling at the sight. "Hey, come here." YN stepped into Bruce's arms, tears falling down her cheeks as she thought about the night prior. "I'm so sorry, YN. You don't deserve this."

YN pushed herself further into her best friend's arms, burying her face in his chest as her tender body was wracked with sobs. "I'm scared, Bruce. He just attacks me whenever I suggest ending it." She cried, Bruce closing his eyes to try and contain his anger as to not make the matter five hundred times worse.

"We'll get you out of there, I swear." Bruce mumbled, squeezing YN gently.

--------------------

YN stood with Bruce as she looked up to her and her boyfriend's apartment. "Okay, Steve said he'd be here in a couple minutes. I'm sorry YN, you know I'd come with you but-" YN shook her head, sending Bruce a comforting smile.

"It's fine, Bruce. I get it." Bruce sighed, rubbing his head. "Don't beat yourself up about it, I'll be fine. Then we can head to your place to unpack." Bruce grabbed YN's hand, giving it a squeeze. "Thank you, by the way. For letting me stay with you. I just need to get back on my feet then I'll be out of your hair." Bruce clenched his teeth, looking to the ground.

"YN, you are welcome at my apartment for as long as you need." YN smiled, lifting her hand to rest on Bruce's cheek. Bruce blushed, looking back up into YN's enticing gaze. "You deserve so much better than this."

YN nodded, letting Bruce go as Steve pulled up on his motorcycle. "I know." She agreed, sending Bruce a quick smile as she approached Steve. "Hey, Rogers." Steve smiled, nodding to Bruce over YN's shoulder.

"I'll just hover by the door, go and get your belongings." YN nodded, awkwardly looking around the apartment that she had lived in for the last six years. Furniture was upturned and glass plates were smashed on the ground from her encounter with her boyfriend, now ex really, a few nights prior.

Sighing she headed to their bedroom, grabbing her suitcase and stuffing in as much as she could, leaving behind anything the piece of shit had bought her. YN was lifting the case off of the bed when she heard his voice, making her body still in fear.

"Who the hell are you?" He shouted, making YN flinch at the aggressive tone. If he'd come home and YN was alone, she knew she would probably be left lying on the floor in a puddle of blood much alike the nights prior.

"Listen, man. She's just getting her belongings and we will be out of your hair. Just cool it." YN held her breath as Steve spoke calmly, knowing the approach would do nothing to soothe the situation.

"What the fuck do you mean? She's not going anywhere." YN stepped out, her suitcase in hand as she made eye contact with the man she had been cowering away from for nearly six years.

"Ryan." YN said, her voice filled with faux confidence. "I'm leaving, you're abusive and I can't handle it anymore." Ryan glared at her, stepping toward her and making YN's breath halt but she stood her ground. "Just let me go, you don't love me anyway."

"You aren't going anywhere, do you hear me?" YN sighed, stepping closer to the door. "What? You going to force your way out? You're weak and pathetic." YN nodded, swallowing thickly as she looked to her feet.

"Maybe, but he's not." YN nodded toward where the super soldier was glaring at Ryan, his arms crossed over his large expanse of chest.

"That is no way to speak to a lady, pal." YN looked to her feet as she hid a snicker.

"Ah, I see. Hiding behind your superhero friends." Ryan spat, clenching his fists as he stepped back. "You really are pathetic." YN shrugged and walked by Ryan as he shouted after her and Steve.

"You'll be back when you realize no one else wants you, YN. You need a man to look after you, you know that!" YN sniffled as tears gathered in her eyes. "You'll be back!" He screamed as YN and Steve stepped into the elevator.

"Unlikely." YN muttered as Steve rested a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm proud of you, kid. That must have been really hard." YN chuckled, letting out a breath.

"Is it even viable for you to call me kid, when I am biologically older than you?" YN chuckled, meeting Steve's eyes.

"Huh, well. I feel older than you." YN laughed as she stepped back out into the foyer and met Bruce's worried gaze through the glass of the building. She picked up her pace as she raced outside and straight into Bruce's arms.

"God, I was so worried about." Bruce murmured, squeezing YN into his arms and pressing a kiss to her hair. "When I saw him go in, I nearly followed."

"We had it sorted, Banner." Steve said, nodding his head in parting as he waltzed over to his bike and sped off.

"I'm so proud of you, YN." Bruce said as they drove toward Bruce's apartment.

"Thank you, Bruce." Bruce looked over to her and sent her a large smile, his heart happy that he had helped get his best friend out of that environment. "I can't believe I'm free." She whispered, grabbing Bruce's hand tightly, missing the blush crawling up the brunette's neck.