A Heart to Break: Surprise x Reader

"What do you think of this one?" YN said, twirling around in her room as Sam raised an eyebrow at her where he laid on her bed.

"Um, looks great." YN huffed, running her hand through her hair.

"Sam, that's what you've said about the last three." Sam groaned, rolling onto his back. YN watched defeatedly as she plopped next to him. "I want to look good for this, you know that."

"YN, you'd look good in a potato sack." YN rolled her eyes, picking at her fingernails. "What you mean is you want to catch a specific someone's attention." YN blushed but didn't deny it, making Sam sigh sadly. "He isn't ready for-"

"-A relationship, I know." YN finished, lowering her head. Sam placed a hand on her fiddling fingers, gaining her attention and making her meet his eye. "I'm in love with him, Sam." She whispered, worrying her lower lip with teeth.

"I know you are, baby girl." Sam responded, sending her a sad smile. "It has nothing to do with you, he thinks the world of you. It's just a bad time."

YN nodded, shrugging her shoulders. "I can still dress to impress though!" She jumped up, Sam recognizing the façade immediately, but letting the girl hype herself back up.

"Of course." Sam laughed, watching her move back to her closet to find another dress to berate Sam with.

"YN, you look beautiful." Steve said, leaning down to press a kiss to her cheek as she kissed his.

"Thanks, Cap." She responded, beaming up at her friend. "You are looking quite dashing yourself, where is your blushing bride tonight?" Steve laughed, tipping his head back as he looked around the room. YN immediately recognized the change in her captain's persona as he met his fiancé's gaze, waving her over with a bashful smile.

"YN, Sam, lovely to see you again." Sharon greeted, slotting herself under Steve's arm. "Thank you for coming tonight."

"Thank you for having us." Sam and YN said at the same time, making the four of them chuckle. "I'm so happy for you guys, really." YN grinned, grabbing Sharon's hand to have yet another look at her ring. "It's so big!" YN gasped dramatically, as if she hadn't seen it a million times.

"Lay off it, YN." Sharon laughed, shaking her head. "We better continue the rounds, please have fun and make the most of the bar tab." Sharon winked, pulling her groom to be away with her.

"He is so smitten with her," Sam cooed. "It's disgusting." YN rolled her eyes, smacking her best friends shoulder harshly.

"Stop it, they look incredible together, they always have." YN trailed her eyes around the room, smiling as she met familiar gazes, none really catching her attention until she met curious brown, the woman quickly halting and dropping her gaze suddenly. "Uh, why is Tony mother fucking Stark staring at me?" YN whispered, gripping the sleeve of Sam's tuxedo.

"Because you're hot? Why else?" YN rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "Come on, you're too blinded by your infatuation with Bucky to see anyone else's eyes on you." YN stilled, her mouth falling open shock. "Shit, YN... I didn't-"

"Yes, you did." YN muttered, letting go of Sam's sleeve and stepping away. "I'll see you later, I need some air." Sam nodded, a guilty grimace on his face as YN hurried away, biting her lip in mixed anger and hurt.

Snagging a glass of champagne as she exited the room, stepping out onto the balcony to breathe in the cool nights air. She sipped on her drink, staring down at the streets of New York sadly, her heart aching as she replayed Sam's words over and over in her head.

"Enjoying the party?" YN stilled at the voice, the sound of it sending warm tingles up her spine. Turning toward him, YN took a deep, calming breath, trying to school her nerves before she opened her mouth and inevitably let something embarrassing slip.