The Stepping Stone To Find You: Steve Rogers x Reader (Part Two)

YN blinked as she looked around her living room, the dull walls putting her on edge. She could have sworn, just a moment ago, she was talking to her best friend about wedding venues, yet now she stood in her shared apartment all alone.

"Hello?" She called, her heart racing in her chest. "Jenny?" She shouted, nails embedding themselves into her palm.

YN shouted out as she stubbed her toe, her eyebrows furrowing as she stared at a pot on the ground. She bent over, flicking the nearly dead leaves. Grumbling about her forgetfulness, YN moved into the kitchen, bypassing the fridge quickly to get some water.

Once she got to the sink, she paused, her already furrowed eyebrows pulling down further on her face. Stepping backward, YN's mouth fell open as she stared at the clock, more specifically the date.

October 10th, 2023.

2023...

"2023!" YN balked, her eyes nearly falling from their sockets. Dropping the water in her hands, she smacked her pockets in search for her cell phone. Bringing it to her face, she stared again at the date, it mirroring the digital numbers on the fridge.

Pulling up her contacts, YN found her fiancé's name, quickly trying to dial the number. Grunting when it beeped, YN tried again. Rubbing her eyes, she paced in her living room, trying to calm her beating heart.

"How... What..." YN clenched and unclenched her fingers, trying to find a reasonable explanation as to why she couldn't remember the last five years. Sinking onto the couch, YN swallowed thickly, tears welling in her eyes. She fought with her shock, her hands coming up to cover her mouth, pulling her lip from between her teeth.

Quickly standing, YN yanked her door open, her panicked eyes finding that of her neighbors. "What's the date?" He asked, his face pale.

"I was about to ask you the same thing." YN whispered, licking her lips. "The last I remember it was-"

"-2018." Her neighbor finished, nodding his head. "What the hell happened?"

"I have no idea." YN whispered, rubbing her head.

Half an hour later, YN was back on her couch, half of her apartment building scattered around her living room. The landlord, Scott, had just told them what had happened, and YN felt sick to her stomach. She'd been gone for five years; she'd missed five years of life.

YN felt tears slide down her face as she stared down at her left hand, her thumb fiddling with the engagement ring that sat perfectly on her fingers. What happened after she'd disappeared? Did Steve vanish too? Or did he...

YN choked, stumbling to her feet as everyone stared at her. "I just need a second to," YN breathed out slowly but shakily. "Gather my bearings." She finished, rushing into her bedroom and slamming the door. Sliding down the wooden surface, YN hid her face in her hands, sobbing quietly into them.

She dreaded the idea of Steve spending five years without her. She had missed her wedding day, her honeymoon. She'd missed everything. Her shoulders shook harder as she continued to fall down the black hole of what if's.

Was he sad? Did he feed himself? What if he was alone... or better yet, what if he wasn't?

YN swallowed, lifting her head. She quickly stood to her feet, looking around their... well, their old bedroom. Five years was a long time. What if he thought she'd left him? Did he even know she was back?

YN went to their dresser, opening the top drawer hesitantly, anxious to see what was inside. Sighing as her eyes landed on Steve's underwear, YN smiled, shaking her head at the pair with dancing bananas on them, the one's she'd gotten him for Christmas last- in 2017.