Do You Know the Enemy?: Steve Rogers x Avenger!Reader

In lieu of updating Perfect Widow because I'm lacking inspo. Here is this mess because I had "Do You Know the Enemy" stuck in my head yesterday. x

YN blinked, her skin slowly forming goosebumps as she watched the figure move throughout the reception lounge. The hood of the stranger's hoodie was pulled down, sunglasses adorning the top of their face, covering the eyes YN knew she'd recognise. 

"Hey Trick, you look like you've seen a ghost." Sam commented, lifting his coffee cup to his mouth as he handed YN hers. YN turned to Sam, smiling half-heartedly. She gracefully accepted her own beverage, waving Sam's comment off. "Come on, Steve and Nat are waiting for us." 

YN nodded, glancing over her shoulder but not locating the figure that had bored itself into her brain. She followed Sam through the streets of New York, smiling as some people recognised them, but otherwise moving along the street quickly. They had finally been granted free time after a long mission, only having returned home a few days prior. 

"Hey guys," Natasha smiled as YN and Sam joined her and Steve in front of their destination. YN smiled softly, immediately taking her place next to her large fiancé. 

"Hi," she murmured, greeting him with a chaste kiss on his cheek. 

"Good morning," he responded, wrapping an arm securely around her shoulders. Although YN never failed to feel safe in Steve's arms, she couldn't shake the overwhelming feeling that she was being watched, the skin along the nape of her neck crawling with anxiety. "You feeling okay?" 

"Never better," she quickly responded, hoping her lie was less obvious than it seemed. Steve frowned for a second before his attention was captured by Sam who had started to talk about their plan for the day. 

The four of them had been longing for some free time to catch up on things outside of their work, wanting to talk about things that didn't involve strategies, blood and killing. Most importantly, YN's maid of honour and half of Steve's two best men wanted to talk wedding. 

"When is Bucky back from Brazil?" Natasha asked, crossing her knees as she settled at the table of the picnic table, the warmth of the sun immediately warming her cheeks and casting a flush over her skin. 

"Tomorrow afternoon," Steve returned, his hand now resting over YN's thigh. The woman would normally have blushed at the attention he was giving her, no matter how small and comfortable it was. However, the feeling of fear was slowly getting harder to ignore. She felt as though there was a timer slowly ticking down, and the closer it got to zero, the more her heart started to race. "Trick?" YN startled, her eyes quickly snapping to her lover's his blue eyes staring at her expectantly. "Are you okay, sweetheart?" 

"What?" YN snapped, before she blinked, a frown enveloping her own features. "Sorry, yeah." She swallowed thickly. "Just feeling a little on edge." The team prickled at the admission, not liking when YN's instincts started acting up. "It's probably nothing." She muttered, running her hand through her hair. "Still reeling from the last few weeks, I think." 

Steve nodded, sending YN a comforting smile. "Relax, I've got you." YN admittedly felt zero comfort in the assurance. Nodding, YN leant into Steve's side, releasing a breath. The weight of her anxiety still felt heavy, nearly crushing her under the pressure. 

The rest of their morning, YN spent trying to connect with her friends, trying her best to remain present and not be swallowed by the unnerving feeling in her chest. By the time they were making their way back to the tower, YN was nearly buckling at the knees. When she caught sight of the figure from that morning again, she froze. Her breath was stilled in her lungs and she was unable to hitch in any sort of air. Steve immediately noticed his lovers state, his blue eyes widening in alarm.