Chance Encounter: Steve Rogers x Barista!Reader

"Steve?" YN called out, placing down the coffee on the counter and moving back to the machine. The coffee sat there for a moment and YN frowned, standing on her toes and glancing around the small coffee shop. "Steve?" She called again, frowning when no one moved.

Sighing she grabbed the coffee, making sure it was still warm and left her position behind the machine, walking around the counter and into the seating area. She looked around, noticing a man sitting alone with a cap pulled down on his head, his eyes resting shut. Grimacing, YN stepped closer.

"Sir?" YN said quietly, hoping she wouldn't startle the man. "Sir." She said a little louder making the blonde man's eye open abruptly, his torso straightening out. "I didn't want to wake you, but are you Steve?"

"Uh," The man grimaced, rubbing his eyes that were red with what looked like lack of sleep. "Yeah, sorry, yeah. I'm Steve."

"Well, here's your coffee, dude." YN smiled, handing over the beverage. "Probably not the best thing to be drinking if you're lacking sleep."

"Well, gotta stay awake one way or another." YN smiled, nodding her head.

"If you need anything else, I'll be behind the counter." Steve nodded, watching the barista return to her post, starting on another customer's coffee.

Steve sipped his coffee and read the paper, grimacing every time the blip was mentioned. He had been working at the VA all morning and was planning on visiting Natasha again that afternoon to make sure she was getting more sleep than he was, at least.

"Listen, girl. I ordered an extra hot double shot soy latte. I did not order this... whatever this is." A loud voice echoed through the mostly empty café. "I demand you make me a new one."

"As I said before, sir, this is an extra hot soy latte with two shots of espresso. I can make you a new one, but it will be the same." The man scoffed, lifting the cup back to his lips to try again. YN huffed, crossing her arms as he screwed his face up.

"This is horrid!" He screeched, taking the lid of the cup off and smelling it.

"I'm sorry, sir. I can-" YN gasped as she was soon covered in the coffee, the scorching brown liquid staining her white shirt and burning her face. "What the hell!" She shouted, closing her eyes as the fluid dripped over her face.

Steve jumped to his feet, stalking over to where the business man was smirking. "Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing?" Steve asked, grabbing the man's elbow.

"This bitch doesn't know how to make a coffee properly." YN scoffed, lifting her hand to wipe her eyes. "Had it coming." Steve shook his head and shoved the man away.

"Leave." The man scoffed, raising his brow.

"Who do you think you are?" He snickered, kissing his teeth. Steve took off his ballcap and raised an eyebrow as the business man paled and nodded. "S-sorry." He muttered, leaving quickly.

"Are you alright?" YN winced as she touched her chest, the skin growing red. "You probably should put something cold on that." YN nodded, closing her eyes.

"I need to close up." She groaned, ringing the coffee off of her hands.

"I'll lock the door for you, just go and get a cold towel." YN nodded in thanks, heading out the back to grab herself something cool to put on her face and chest.

"You didn't have to step in, probably not the sort of thing Captain America polices." Steve chuckled as he sipped at his new coffee, watching YN stir a hot chocolate on the opposite side of the booth.