A Lesson in Pining: T'Challa x Wakandan!Reader

"Do you think he's dreaming?" YN asked, squatting down in front of the sleeping man. Shuri looked up from her keyboard, raising an eyebrow at her.

"What?" YN stood, walking backward while still staring at the brunette.

"Barnes. Do you think he's dreaming?" Shuri scoffed, flicking her eyes between where YN stood with her arms crossed and a foot tapping, to the man sleeping vertical in a cryotube.

"No." YN looked to Shuri with wide eyes, curiosity burning at her. "Maybe. I don't know." YN snorted, cocking her head. Shuri moved to YN's side, also staring at Bucky.

"Is this weird?" YN whispered, stepping closer, peering into the tube.

"Definitely." Shuri returned, just as quietly as they both looked through the glass at the Sargent slept. The two girls were close enough that their breath was fogging the glass as they stared at him. YN furrowed her eyebrows, locking her eyes on Bucky's eyelids.

"I don't think he is." She murmured, leaning back. "Wait, did they move?" YN gasped, her eyes popping open.

"They definitely did!" Shuri exclaimed, an equally shocked expression on her own face.

"Do you two ever do any work?" Shuri laughed as YN jumped, spinning on her heel and falling over.

"Real graceful, YN." She snickered, walking past her toward her brother. "What's up bro?" T'Challa sent YN an amused look as she stood slowly, biting her lip as she stared at the siblings.

"Nakia and the Dora Milaje have returned." YN swallowed, looking away from them as she moved toward the exit. "I was hoping to host a party to welcome them back." YN looked over her shoulder, catching the sad look the younger sibling sent her.

"Of course, YN and I will be there." T'Challa nodded, a smile gracing his lips as he turned back around to face YN, frowning when he met an empty room.

--------------------------

YN sat on her bed, picking at the bed spread her mother had made her.

"What are you planning to wear to this royal party, YN?" YN shook her head as her father limped into the room, his cane held tightly in his hand.

"I'm not going, father." He looked up, a confused frown on his elderly features.

"Nonsense. You will go where you are required, and if that is the royal party, then so be it." YN clenched her teeth, nodding her head reluctantly.

"Of course, I'm sorry father." YN watched him hobble from the room, her eyes filling with frustrated tears as she thought about her night ahead.

She had been in love with T'Challa since her and Shuri had begun working together, that was four years ago. She'd had to watch the man she adored fall for another woman, knowing she was not enough to catch the prince's (now kings) attention.

Shuri had caught on quite quickly, insisting she help YN win his heart. YN had demanded Shuri leave it alone, insistent that it was useless and best left alone. "You aren't fighting hard enough." Shuri had told her, shaking her head in disappointment.

YN knew she was just saving herself the inevitable heartache. Nakia was smooth, a fighter, charming and absolutely stunning. YN was average looking, sarcastic and clumsier than a newborn foal. Shuri told her T'Challa always found her two left feet endearing. YN had retorted with a comment relating her to the baby animal people point at in the zoo and murmur a small 'aww' then move on.

YN sighed, rubbing her eyes as she stood to her feet, moving to her closet to determine her attire for the evening. After sifting for about an hour, YN finally found something appropriate, the material sitting perfectly on her shoulders and draping over her curves.