The Stepping Stone To Find You: Stephen Strange x Reader / Surprise x Reader

Oh my goodness, I forgot to mention that this was inspired by @malavika52- the plot was mostly her idea :) so thanks g xo

"Dr. YLN, we have a patient headed your way with a head injury, she was in an accident about an hour and half ago. Suspected intracranial hematoma." YN nodded as she grabbed the clipboard from the paramedic, reading over it as she walked down the corridor.

"How far out?" She asked, slipping the clipboard under her arm as she stopped at a sink to wash her hands, slipping some gloves over them once she finished.

"Eight minutes." YN sighed, nodding her head.

"Prep theatre, we may need to open her up." The nurse she addressed nodded, racing off to do as she was directed.

"Dr. Strange is on his way in, if you need a consult." A nurse said, smiling at her superior. YN swallowed, biting her lip as she entered the theatre room.

"We should be okay, thank you Eloise." Eloise nodded once and left her side to prep the patient as she wheeled in.

"We had to revive her three times on the way here. The scans are showing significant bleeding in the parietal lobe, which may have caused-"

"Cerebral hypoxia." YN nodded at the paramedic, grabbing her tools. "Thank you, we have it under control." The paramedics left as YN started the surgery, her hands performing their actions as they had hundreds of times before.

"BP dropping and quickly." YN looked up toward the anesthetist, her eyebrows furrowing.

"We have a bleed." YN rushed out, dabbing the pulsating muscle with a gauze, her heart rate picking up as she searched for the source. "Find me a-"

"Patient is entering asystole!" YN gulped, trying to focus on her surgery as the anesthetic nurses began protocol, providing adrenaline to try and get the patient's heart beating again. After another five minutes of YN struggling to contain the patient's bleeding brain, the other doctor touched her hand, a sad look in his eye.

"She's gone." YN swallowed, nodding her head softly as she stood from her stool, clenching her teeth. "Take a minute, we will get her fixed up."

YN stumbled out into the hall, ripping the bloodied gloves from her hands and tossing them in the bin. She leant against the wall, staring into the room and at her deceased patient. Sliding down the wall, YN placed her head in her hands, tears tracking down her face as her heart pulled harshly.

"YN?" YN sniffed, wiping her eyes and pushing herself upright.

"Stephen." YN returned, nodding her head toward her colleague. His eyes softened as he followed YN's line of sight.

"We can't win them all, YN." YN nodded, tears filling up in her eyes again. "Come on, we will go and get a coffee." YN clenched her teeth as she met Stephen's eye, her once cold insides warming.

Following the man from the hall after cleaning herself up, YN thought about her pathetic crush on the tall brunette. She had been watching him from afar for years, slowly becoming his friend as he let her in. YN would never act on her feelings, knowing he was too far out of her reach.

They sat at a table in the cafeteria and YN stared at her hands, the hands that were unsuccessful in saving a patient not even an hour ago.

"Don't go down that path, YN." YN sighed, bringing her eyes to meet Stephen's, his gaze never failing to make her stomach flutter.

"Easy for you to say." She whispered, intertwining her hands. "You don't have to now call that woman's family and tell them you were too incompetent to save their daughter." Stephen sighed, resting a hand on YN's. YN took a quick breath in, holding it as she stared at the contact.