Chapter 29

A/N: Read till the end. I really love the end of this chapter :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Alison had sat next to Ed's bed on a chair. She had pulled up her legs into her chest and was reading a book. It was almost night and Ed was going to wake up soon based on what Rich had told her. 

The curtains pulled away a bit and Catherine walked in. "Hi." she greeted Alison with a smile.

Alison smiled back. She has already liked the beautiful nurse. "Hi, Catherine." she said and put her legs down and closed her book.

"Please call me, Cate. That's what everyone calls me." said Catherine softly and Alison nodded. "Sorry to disturb you, honey. But I have to change the IV and check on your friend."

"Thank you." said Alison and watched Cate doing her job. "How old are you?"

"I'm 22." answered Cate. "And if you are wondering, I'm recently starting to work here."

"You are at Rich's age." said Alison with a huge grin and Cate nodded and blushed a bit. Alison giggled inwardly. They were so oblivious. She had caught Rich during the day staring at her and glaring at every man who was talking or laughing with her and even saw her smiling at him or blushing when she caught him staring.

"How do you come to work here?" asked Alison curious. "You know what I mean."

"Oh, yes." said Cate and waved her hand nonchalantly. "My father works here. They needed more trusted nurses and he offered me. It was a great offer for me as well. I can learn many things here and earn enough money to pay for my studies myself."

Alison nodded. Just then she heard a grumble and her head snapped toward Ed who was slowly waking up. In instant, she was standing and was holding his hand. "Ed?" she asked worriedly as she saw him opening his eyes. "Oh goodness me, Ed." tears of happiness welled up in her eyes.

"Alison. Where am I?" said Ed with a raspy voice and tried to sit up but grunted in pain immediately and fall back. 

Catherine was quick to steady him. "Easy there, mister." she said softly and checked a few things. "You can't move suddenly. You should take care of your ribs."

Ed opened his eyes and looked at Alison. "What happened?" he asked and coughed and once again withered in pain. Alison felt her heart clenched. She quickly took a glass of water and a straw and helped him drink once Cate brought his bed a little bit up so he was in a semi-sitting position. 

Ed drank the water gratefully while Cate injected him with something. "I injected you with painkillers a bit to ease your pain." she said. "Take it easy. I'm going to find the doctor." she then walked out and leave Alison and Ed alone.

"Everything is fine, Ed." said Alison softly and ran a hand through his black hair. "You are safe. You are in my brother's private clinic. Mason took care of your father. Unfortunately, he is alive but he is going to spend the rest of his life in prison for selling drugs."

Ed sighed in relief and closed his eyes. "Thank you." he whispered relieved. "For everything."

Alison smiled and kissed his forehead. "You don't need to thank me. You are my brother, my family. I will do anything for you." she smiled. 

Catherine returned with Rich a moment later. Rich checked Ed's conditions and then explained to Ed his health condition. "We are going to keep you here tonight. It's better you be under watch. You should take it easy for a few days and after a month you will the same." explained Rich. "We will sedate you again so you can rest easy. Tell us if you feel uncomfortable so we can check what's the problem."