Chapter 45

Bella closed the door behind her and looked at Jeff who was lying down on a bed in the room. Her heart clenched a bit when she saw all of the machines that were attached to him. She walked to him and stood by his bed. He was a handsome man. His blond hair had fallen on his forehead messily. His face was covered by light stubble. His body was not as muscular as Mason's, but it was fit from the few hours he was spending in the gym in the small times he had between the university and working in a hospital.

"Jeff!" she called softly and moved his hair away from his forehead.

Jeff's eyes fluttered open and he looked up at Bella. "Bella?" he asked with a raspy voice and squinted his eyes, unable to believe what he was seeing. "Is this a dream?"

Bella smiled down at him sadly and caressed his forehead. "No, Jeff." she said. "I'm really here. What are you doing in New York?"

"I came here for a conference. But my main reason was seeing you." answered Jeff and Bella looked at him shocked. Jeff took her hand which was placed ideally on the bed. "Bella, I was an idiot that I thought my job and studies are more important than you. After a month I saw I can't bear your absence in my life. When I came to your flat, I found out you have come here. So I came here when I found a chance. Please come back with me. Please."

Bella looked at his pleading eyes. He was the one who ended everything. She was in the hard days of her life. She had lost her job and was late for paying university funds. She couldn't ask her mother, knowing she had enough problems herself. When she had asked Jeff to help her enter the hospital he was working in as an intern, he told her that he couldn't risk his carrier because of her. He had clearly told her that his studies and job were more important for him than her problems. And so they ended everything there.

"Bella?" called Jeff and Bella looked at him snapping out from her daze. "I screwed everything between us, but please forgive me."

"Jeff. You left me when I needed you the most." she said. "You never loved me. Even now you are here because of that conference, not completely me."

"I know, I was an idiot, but please give me another chance." pleaded Jeff. His eyes were sincere but Bella couldn't. Mason's face was in front of her eyes constantly and her heart fluttered whenever she was remembering him. She had no feeling for Jeff anymore. Besides she couldn't trust him to not leave her again in hard days that would come surely.

"I can't, Jeff. I'm sorry." she said softly.

Jeff's eyes become hard and he looked away. But he didn't release her hand. "You have met another man, haven't you?" he asked coldly.

"Yes." she said. "Three months have passed from when we ended everything, Jeff. And we were not on best terms on the last few months of our relationship."

"There is no hope for me, am I right?" sighed Jeff.

"I love him, Jeff." she said. "I can't imagine my life without him."

"Is it alright if you stay here for a few hours?" he asked defeated.

"Of course." said Bella and sat on a chair next to the bed. "I can stay for a while."

***********************

Mason parked his car in a parking lot next to the hospital and got out. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down. Why the heck that fucker was muttering his Bella's name? Why was he here in New York? More importantly, why was Bella here? Did she still love him?

His blood ran cold at the last thought and he clenched and unclenched his fists to calm himself down. He was shocked when he had seen Damien's text and had come to the hospital instantly. He was ready to beg Bella if needed. If she wouldn't listen to him, he simply would kill the man she had come to see and would lock her in his room in the mansion until she forgive him. He straightened his suit jacket and walked into the hospital and climbed the stairs. He saw Damien and Xander who stood as he walked to them.