Chapter 38

Alison fidgeted nervously under the intense stare of her three friends who were sitting in front of her, waiting for her to speak.

"Are you pregnant?" blurted out Ashley suddenly and every head in the room snapped to her. Logan and Ed's heads snapped toward Alison quickly. "Are you?" they said together in a panicked tone.

"What?" cried Alison and shook her hands quickly in front of her. "No, God, No!"

"Alison, spit it out or I swear to take it out of you by force." said Ed through gritted teeth and ran a hand through his hair.

Alison took a deep breath. "Okay, guys." she sighed. "I'm going to tell you, but you should promise to not freak out or hate me, alright?"

The three in front of her nodded and waited. "Albert," said Alison and paused for a few seconds, trying to find the best words while fiddling with the hem of her shirt.

"He what?" said Logan angrily and impatiently and clenched his fists. "Does the fucker abuse you? Hit you? So help me God if he does."

"God, No. Will you shut up for a second?" snapped Alison. "I'm trying to tell you here. He is a mafia king."

Pin drop silence fell on the room for a moment while the three friends were looking at Alison shocked. Ed blinked a few times. "I beg your pardon. What?" he asked quietly.

Alison sighed again and pinched the bridge of her nose. This was going to be hard. "Albert King is the Don of American mafia and Mason will take his place in one week time. I know it's confusing so let me start from the beginning." so for the next 20 minutes, Alison explained everything that had happened since three weeks ago not leaving anything out while her friends were looking at her silently with wide eyes.

"And that's all." said Alison and looked at her silent friends. "Guys, please say something."

"What. the. actual. fuck." said Logan emphasizing each word.

Ed stood suddenly. He winced a bit from the sudden movement. His ribs have not healed completely. "Alison, you won't stay with them." said Ed. His voice raised with each sentence as he spoke again. "You will come and live with one of us. It's too dangerous to stay with them. Dear Lord, why didn't you tell us sooner that you were attacked? And not once but twice."

"You couldn't do anything about it other than freaking out." said Alison embarrassed.

"We can at least take you out of that hell hole." yelled Logan. "Ed is right. You can't live with them."

"Did you listen to what I said?" asked Alison desperately. "They are my family. I love ..."

"Family my ass." spat Logan. He was in his overprotective brother mode. His eyes were blazing with anger like Ed's. "You will come and live here. We have a spare room ..."

"Are you deaf?" said Ashley louder and everyone turned to her. She looked at Alison and smiled. "She has gotten used to them and so does her new family. They won't let her get hurt. They have proved it so far."

Alison nodded fiercely and smiled gratefully at Ashley.

Ed shook her head. "They can't grantee her safety." he said. "What if a bullet had hit her in the head a week ago? Okay, she was lucky the two last times. What if she won't be the next time?"

Alison cringed at his harsh words. He was right after all. What if the bullets had hit Damien and her mother right in the heart or head? She had thought about this from the moment they had got attacked on the highway, two weeks ago, yet she couldn't bring herself to leave them.

Ashley shrugged. "People will die when their time comes. From a bullet that hit them in the head or from an infection of the smallest gash on their toe." she said. "What is important is that she had found a family who can support her all the time, financially and emotionally. It seems that her sister too has fallen for Mason. If she wants to leave she will lose her family."