Chapter 36

Eva groaned and fluttered her eyes open. Her eyes met the happy and worried face of Alison who was looking down at her. "Mum!" she squealed happily and grabbed Eva's hand. "Thank God you are awake. I was getting worried slowly."

"What happened?" frowned Eva. The recent events were like a haze in her mind. She tried to move but hissed as her shoulder exploded with pain.

"Easy there." said Alison and tidy the pillows under Eva's head and brought the head of the bed up a bit. "You were shot. You had a long surgery last night."

Eva's eyes grew wide as she remembered everything. "The twins!" she said and looked worriedly at Alison.

Alison smiled and caressed her forehead. "Don't be worried." she said. "They are fine. Only Jordan has caught a little cold because he had taken off his shirt to press it on your wound. The two little munchkins have shown the true sprite of Kings."

"Damien, what about him?" asked Eva still worried sick. 

"He is fine too," answered Alison. "He had a hard surgery as well. Rich says he will be up by nightfall. And before you ask, every other is fine."

Eva nodded and closed her eyes. Tears gathered in her eyes from relief. Alison kissed her forehead. "Let me call Bella, then I will tell you everything that has happened." she said.

Bella rushed into the room in less than 5 minutes. "Mum!" she cried and she ran to Eva's bed and showered her face with kisses. "God I'm too happy you are fine. You gave me a heart attack last night."

"I'm fine, Bella." chuckled Eva as Bella checked her vitals. "Where is Albert? I thought he would come to see me by now." she said a little bit disappointed.

"Okay, now don't be mad at him." giggled Bella. "He doesn't know you are awake. They are in a meeting with their trusted circle, talking about canceling some sort of mafia gathering that they were going to hold two weeks later."

"What???" yelled Eva and startled both Alison and Bella who looked at her shocked. She then began to toss the blanket away.

"Mum!" said Bella hurriedly and grabbed Eva's shoulder and helped her to sit up. "What are you doing?"

"Help me to go to them." winced Eva as she swung her legs off the bed. "They should not cancel the gathering."

"Why?" asked Alison confused about her mother's reaction to the news.

"If they cancel it, every other mafia family under their control will doubt the King's power." explained Eva. "Albert is doing it only for us. He doesn't want to put us in more danger."

"Okay! Okay!" said Bella stopping Eva from coming down of the bed. "We will take you there, but let me bring a wheelchair for you. You have not recovered yet. Alison put a blanket on her shoulders."

A few minutes later, Alison and Bella were wheeling Eva toward Don's office where the meeting was held. When they reached there, Alison knocked and opened the door after hearing Albert's deep voice giving her permission.

Albert gasped and his eyes widened when he saw Eva wide awake. He was on his feet and rushed to her side in a second. Everyone stood as well. 

"Eva!" said Albert happily and knelt in front of her and took her hands in his, kissing them. "Goodness, you are awake." 

Xander, Mason, Ben, and Rich came to Eva too. Xander put a hand on her shoulder and kissed her head. "It's good to see you awake." he said and Eva grabbed his hand and smiled warmly at him. 

Albert's eyes then turned serious. "What are you doing here?" he asked sternly. "You should be resting. You are still pale."

Eva shook her head and looked into his eyes. "I heard some bad news." she said. "Are you really canceling mafia gatherings? You told me once how much it's important for you to show your power."