Chapter Fourty

To all the readers that have stuck around since day one... Thank you. I love you guys so much.

And as always... any and all legal bullshit in this book is either CLOSE to the truth or NOT ENTIRELY the truth, and if I see anyone commenting that 'this wouldn't happen' or 'but legally...' I'm deleting it. It's not my fault you didn't read the authors note.

Now onto the story...
_______________________________

Alex Solace

   Hours.

   Minutes.

   Days.

Time seemed to pass so slowly. But at the same time, before I knew it that dreaded holiday was right around the corner.

Christmas.

I don't have a tree, I don't have stockings, I don't have presents for Mateo, I don't have anything yet.

But I do have one thing.

The will.

That goddamn will. Officer Walsh called back the other day and said that Teresa did in fact have a will, and that she saw everything that was on it. I was ecstatic. So fucking ecstatic that for the first time in a long time, I smiled when I went to pick up Mateo.

Walsh said that because she saw everything that was in the will, she could turn it in to the judge and he would take it into consideration when my court date rounds the corner. She said that because it'll be the state versus me when it comes to Mateo's care, this would help in my favor.

Yeah... I didn't know I would have the state against me either.

I don't know why, and I was too out of it to understand what she was saying, but for some reason I have the state on my ass.

That was a blow to the chest, a dagger to my heart, a rope tied around my throat- cutting off my way of breathing. Leaving me to hyperventilate and gasp for air.

I hated it. I hated hearing that I had the state against me. But a part of me understood. I'm 18, I just got a job, I've never lived on my own, and now I have to raise a child? Not to mention the fact that they don't know what I've been through. So I can somewhat understand why the states against me.

But... I'm choosing to focus on the good things. Such as the fact that Walsh said she would send over the will for me to look at. Apparently there's something in it that she thinks I should take a look at.

   I mean... why not? Right?

   Today's gonna be a good day. If not, I'm gonna make it a good day, dammit. I need it. I need it so fucking bad. Tomorrow's Monday. Tomorrow's the day I go back to school. I need one day of fucking peace and happiness before I go back to that hell hole.

   So I'm doing something that's probably unnecessary, but in the eyes of society is completely normal.

   I'm going Christmas shopping.