Chapter Fifty-One

kinda a Kenji and Maya chapter but also NOT bc its all in Alex's POV.

enjoy! or dont, I'm not reading the comments of this chapter anyway
_______________________________

Alex Solace

"Come on, Bubs. You gotta go to school. Don't be like me, please." I whined, begging him to wake up for the tenth time.

I pulled off his blanket and exposed his tiny body to the warm air, feeling my own eyes start to drop before I forced them open and started pulling his socks off. "If you help me with your clothes I'll take you to get chips later." What does he do? He yawns and sits up, rubbing his eyes with his closed fist.

His tiny palm pushes his curls out of his face- curls that I've decided are too cute to chop off- and his lips smack together. "Mama," I grab him under his arms and stand him on his bed, tugging his pajama shirt and pulling it over his head. "Yeah, kid?"

His morning breath smacks my face as I pull his new shirt over his head, "Can we get the lemon ones?"

Ah, lemon chips. A personal fave of mine.

I laugh and sit him back down, tugging his pants off and handing him the new pair to put them on himself. "Sure. Do you want a drink too?" I un-velcro his shoes.

He slips on his pants, letting his tongue peek through the corner of his mouth in concentration and giggles at his own accomplishment. "Yeah, the... the fruit punch." He puts his socks on without me even telling him, and for some reason it makes me feel accomplished in life.

I take the nearby spray bottle and sit down on his bed, pulling him between my legs and wetting his hair. I don't brush through the curls because I'm not a freaking idiot, but I do my best to find as many curls as possible and spin them around my finger to make them look less frizzy.

It ends up looking really decent, but I should probably find some curling products for him or something. How he got curls I have no fucking clue, but they look cute with his face so I can't complain.

It's not long enough for me to part his hair, but long enough for him to be considered a 'curly head'.

"Alright, kid," I grunt, taking his sweater from his doorknob and handing it to him while I get his backpack. We move synchronously and before you know it, we're out the door.

The drive wasn't even five minutes which is freaking amazing for me. I kissed his warm forehead goodbye and sent him off with his teacher, who gives all the parents daily updates on how the kids are doing.

Around the same time I got home is when I felt my phone vibrate in the pocket of my hoodie.

Elias: second period just ended, not the same without you. will I be able to see you later?

A smile crept onto my face at his message, not a trace of anxiety in my heart. My message was brief but still sweet.

Alex: I'm gonna be unpacking and shopping all day. so you can but I dont know if I'll be much company.

His message back gave me butterflies.

Elias: the quicker I help you unpack and shop, the quicker I can snuggle you until you suffocate. I'll be there.

BRO?!

Sorry, I mean- how sweet.

I smile as I rest my hands on the steering wheel, grinning at his text message over and over again.