Only if you knew (4)

After what had probably been the longest seconds of your entire life, a miracle happened.

Yelena stirred a little then started coughing, trying to catch her breath.

She was alive. Exhausted, confused and half drowned but alive.

Without even thinking about it, you threw your arms around the blonde and gave her the longest hug you two had ever shared.

You didn't want to make her uncomfortable but you really coudn't help it. You absolutely needed to feel her breathing, to feel her warm skin, to make sure that this wasn't juste a dream. That she was really here with you and not dead at the bottom of the lake.

'' I'm sorry but what happened exactly ? '' Yelena coughed, hugging you back awkwardly. '' I remember shooting at the car that was following us but nothing more. Why I am soaking wet ? And why are you clinging to me as if I had just come back from the dead ? ''

'' Because that's exactly what you did. '' Wanda replied as you were still too upset to talk. '' You got knocked out by something then fell into the lake. Y/n dived and saved you. ''

'' You saved me ? '' Yelena looked at you, wiping your tears away with her thumb. '' For real ? ''

'' Wanda helped. But I guess we're even now aren't we ? ''

The blonde smiled and nodded before wincing slightly.

" I think we need to get your head checked, you hit it pretty hard. " You said, gently touching Yelena's forehead. " Do you think you can get up ? "

She shook her head yes but crumbled on the ground when she tried getting back on her feet.

" It's okay. " You reassured her, seeing she looked quite upstet.
" I'm gonna help you going back to the jet and then, Bruce will take care of you" ( Let's just say they also have a jet alright ? )

" I can just make you levitate if you want." Wanda offered kindly. " It will be faster and easier for y..."

Yelena didn't answer but the look she gave the redhead was terrified and you immediately put your arm around her shoulders.

" It's okay Wanda. She can walk. I'll help her. "

You helped Yelena getting back on her feet and made your way toward the jet, followed by a very confused Wanda.

She couldn't understand why the blonde had refused her help but you could. After years of being held in the red room, Yelena didn't want anyone to control her body. Even if that person was a friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" So everything's alright ? " you asksed Bruce anxiously after he was done checking on the blonde's head. " She really is fine ? "

" Y/n stop worrying about me. " Yelena nudged you gently. " The doctor already told you three times that I was completely okay ! "

" That's true ! " Bruce gave you a reassuring smile. " Yelena is perfectly fine, she just needs to rest. "

" I don't need sleep I'm perfectly f..."

" You heard the doctor. " You interrupted the spy, dragging her out of the room.
" You died during about one minute today, you need your rest ! "

" Y/n, stop acting like a mum ! " Yelena whined as you were taking her to her room. " I can take care of myself you know, what's with you being so clingy all of the sudden ? "

" Clingy ? " You stopped arranging the pillows on her bed. " That's really what you think about me ? "

" Y/n..."

" No, I... I'm sorry alright ? I know I'm being ridiculous. It's just that... I can't believe that you're alive and safe when I felt you dying in my arms. "

You put a hand in front of your mouth to muffle the sobs you knew were coming.

" God, I'm such a mess. " You hiccuped, Yelena staring at you with a concerned face. " I'm really sorry you have to see that. "

" You have nothing to be sorry about. " The blonde stroked your hair gently.
" Come here. "

She opened her arms and you gave her a surprised look.

" I thought hugs made you uncomfortabl..."

" You saved me, idiot. Of course I want to hug you. Now, come here ! "

This time, you didn't hesitate and let Yelena wrap her arms around you.

You sobbed into her shirt as she rubbed your back comfortingly and you finally felt a bit better.

She was alive, she was safe. Her heart had stopped beating for a few seconds but you could feel its pulse under your head, steady and strong. Everything would be alright.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You opened your eyes slowly, trying to understand where you were and what had happened.

You're head was resting on a very soft pillow which... was moving up and down ?

You looked around in chock, memories from the previous night gradually coming back to you.

Your remembered your mental break down and how exhausted you had felt afterwards, so exhausted you had dozed off after a few minutes.

In your partner's arms. You had fallen asleep in Yelena's arms. And your head was still laying on her chest.

You blushed uncontrollably with the realization, and even more when you realized that the blonde's face was only a couple of inches away from yours.

You had never seen her this peaceful before and you couldn't help but notice just how perfect she looked.

She always had her walls up when she was awake, never really allowing herself to relax or show any kind of weakness.

It was difficult sometimes to believe that Yelena was only your age, because she acted and looked older than she really was.

But with her perfect features relaxed in a peaceful slumber, she seemed way younger and vulnerable (though you knew she was one of the deadliest individual on earth).

" I love you. " You whispered, kissing her hairline. " I was too dumb to realize it sooner but I really, really do. "

" Hum hum. " Someone cleared their throat on the doorstep. " I think this was the cutest thing I had ever heard. "

You rolled on your side to see that it was Wanda before carefully entangling yourself from Yelena's body.

" Awww, you two were snuggling in your sleep ! " the redhead squealed as you came closer to her. " That is so..."

" Shhhh ! " You put a hand on her mouth, taking her out of the room. " You're going to disturb Yelena, she's such a light sleeper ! What are you doing here anyway ? "

" Well you two have been gone for 12 hours and I was getting kinda worr..."

" Wait. " You cut her mid-sentence. " Did you say 12 hours ? "

" Yup. Maybe you should go and wake your girlfriend, her sister wants to see her. "

" She's not my..."

" Sure whatever. I just hope you'll be brave enough to repeat the words that you said a couple of minutes ago. When Yelena is conscious of course. "

Wanda gave you a wink before walking away, leaving you lost and confused.

You knew she was right though, you absolutely needed to tell Yelena about your feelings. And the sooner, the better.