Memories (Yelena)

Your girlfriend suffers from amnesia and doesn't remember anything before meeting you and joining the avengers. When Wanda accidentally messes with her head, the memories start to come back. Of course you're here to help her through it.

" Okay, I think the coast is clear. " You smiled at Wanda.
" We managed to successfuly take them all down. "

The redhead nodded before getting up slowly.

You two were about to get out of the building when a noise was heard behind you.

Reflexively, Wanda fired at whoever it was with her powers (No idea if she can actually do that) and someone fell to the ground.

It was too far away to see who it was but you just assumed it was some random bad guy. Until you heard Natasha screaming your girlfriend's name.

Your blood ran cold as you rushed through the smoke to get to Natasha.

When you finally found her, she was on the ground, trying to shake an unconscious Yelena awake.

You fell on your knees at the sight, unable to breath properly.

" El, El babe answer me ! " You pleaded, trying not to break down. " Come on, wake up !"

The blonde remained unresponsive, her steady breath being the only sign she wasn't in fact dead.

Wanda appeared behind you, a sorry expression on her face.

" What did you do to her ? " Nat immediately got up, cornering the redhead. " Why isn't she waking up ? "

" I believe she's reliving her memories." Wanda answered cautiously. " It won't harm her and when she wakes up, she'll remember everything from her past."

You immediately felt relieved and shot a questioning look at Nat who seemed surprisingly worried.

You couldn't help but find it weird. Getting her memories back had always been your girlfriend's greatest wish.

Maybe her family was alive and waiting for her somewhere. And even if there was no one, Yelena still needed to remember her past.

She felt like a part of her was missing and you knew it was painful to her.

Getting everything back would definitely be a very good thing so, why did Natasha look so panicked ?

" Tash, what's wrong ? " You finally asked, putting a hand on your friend's shoulder. " You heard Wanda, Yelena will be just fine ! "

The redhead refused to answer you, scooping Yelena up to get her back to the jet instead.

She remained quiet during the entire flight back to the compound, occasionally shooting really worried glances at your girlfriend.

Her behavior didn't change after you went back and Yelena was settled safely on her bed.

You knew Natasha needed time. She had always been very protective of the blonde for some reason (nobody knows they are sisters in this) and Yelena was really important to her.

That didn't explain why she was so worried though. Wanda had been very clear and Bruce had even confirmed her words : Yelena wasn't badly hurt and would wake up soon.

At some point, you grew tired of your friends odd behavior and went to confront her about it.

" Is there something I should know about ? " You asked the redhead, her anxiety spreading to you. " Please don't tell me Yelena is dying and everyone's lying to me about it ! "

" She isn't. " Nat finally sighted. " But she'll probably wish she was when she wakes up. "

" Wh...What is that supposed to mean ? "

" It's complicated but...let's just say the memories Yelena's going to have back aren't really happy ones."

You looked at her, trying to understand what she meant by not really happy ones.

" Do you mean you know what happened to her ? I mean, before she came here and lose her memories. ? "

The redhead sighted again before nodding slightly.

" You weren't supposed to know this. No one was. But yes, I know a lot of things about my sister...Yelena's past. "

" Wait, did you just say sister ? " You shot her another glance, this time even more surprised. " But you said..."

" That my sister was dead, I know. It was a lie. My sister is sleeping behind that door. "

She pointed at Yelena's door before turning back towards you.

" But why...why would you lie to her like that ? All this time, she was so desperate for finding her family and you were here all along ! "

Nat avoided your gaze, obviously feeling guilty.

" You know where I grew up Y/n right ? " She finally asked you. " You know about the red room and all the horrible things I went through because of it ? "

You nodded because of course your knew. You were frequently awakened by Natasha's terrified screams during the night and Yelena often helped her deal with panick attacks and flashbacks.

" Okay. Then I'm sure you can understand why I didn't want Yelena to have her memories back. She was in the red room for so long..."

The redhead's voice broke and a single tear rolled on her face.

" When I escaped, I had to leave my little sister behind. " She started talking again. " And they took it out on her. They tortured her and punished her for my own actions. I came back for her, two years later but it was... it was too late. "

Natasha was fully crying at this point but you couldn't find the strength to comfort her, not after what she had just admitted.

" I managed to get Yelena out of the red room but she wasn't...she wasn't herself anymore. It was like..."

" Like she had just gone through two years of torture because the one person who was supposed to watch over her had left ? " You yelled, unable to control your anger. " Seriously Nat, how could you do this ? I thought you were a good person ! "

" I made a mistake Y/n, I know it. But when Yelena stumbled on that rock on our way to the compound and lost her memories I thought..."

" That you would be able to build a relationship with Yelena since she no longer remembered what you had done ? "

The redhead shot you an annoyed look before sighting deeply.

" I don't expect you to understand. But I will never regret having asked Wanda not to tell my sister she could bring her memories back. "

" Wanda knew ???"

" Yes." Natasha nodded. " So did Clint and Furry."

You rubbed your forehead, unable to process those new informations.

" Yelena sleeps well at night,
Y/n. " She added. " I've seen her on missions, she's a really heavy sleeper and never gets nightmares. She's open and bubbly and she doesn't have a hard time trusting people. She's the person she would have been if the red room hadn't taken everything from her. So no, I don't regret anything. You can hate me all you want but you'll understand I was right when my sister wakes up. "

You were about to reply something when a noise was heard from Yelena's bedroom.

You and Nat glared at each other. Who knew what was going to happen next ?

I'm sorry if it's been a bit longer than usual but I've been snowed under with work. The second part of Katexreader will be up soon.