My little hawk (2)

You opened your eyes to someone crying next to you. At first, your vision was too blurry to see anything and you assumed it was either Yelena (your best friend) or Nat (who was like a sister to you.)

But then, you finally managed to get a clear shot of the situation and your entire body froze in surprise.

Yes, Nat was here but she wasn't the one bawling her eyes out. Kate was.

You almost chocked on your own saliva at the sight because, really, how was this happening ? How could the girl who repeated at least once a day she didn't want you as her partner be upset like this ?

Neither Kate or Nat had seen you were awake yet and you decided that you could let them have their moment for a bit longer.

The reason why the brunette was crying didn't matter, this wasn't something you were supposed to witness.

You knew she would have rather died than being seen like this and as much as you despised Kate, respecting her privacy was important to you.

As you closed your eyes again, you noticed you could still feel both of your arms and legs meaning you weren't paralyzed. That was already a good thing right ?

" Shhh, it's okay sweetheart. " You heard Nat comforting your partner. " Y/n is going to be alright and none of this is your fault. "

" But yes it is. " Kate sniffed. " I should have seen this grenade then maybe I could have received it instead of her. I have always been nothing but mean to her. Out of the two of us, she's the one who deserved to live. Why...Why do people always sacrifice themselves for me ? "

" Because you matter to them Kate. And remember, there is nothing you can do to prevent someone from doing something if they have already made their choice. "

For a couple of minutes, neither of them said anything and you assumed they were simply sharing a hug.

" I wish he was here. " Your partner whispered with a broken voice that made your heart ache for her. " "I miss him so much Nat"

" I know sweety. " The redhead answered sadly. " I miss him too. But do you know what he would say if he was here ? "

" Katie-Kate go get some rest. " Kate chuckled but you could still tell she was crying. " He was always such a dad. "

" He surely was. Now, go lay down for a bit okay ? I'll come and get you if anything changes. "

" Yeah no thanks, just text me. " You heard your partner get up to leave the room. " I don't...I don't want Y/n to know I was worried sick about her. "

" Kate if you're trying not to get attached to this girl, you and I already know that it's too late ! "

The door closed without an answer and you were left alone in the room with Nat.

" Y/n, you can open your eyes now. " Nat told you after a few seconds. " I know you're awake. "

You jerked awake and gave her an outraged look.

" All this time you knew and you didn't say anything ? "

" Of course I knew. " The redhead smiled. " I'm a spy, remember ? I didn't say anything because Kate was finally letting herself be vulnerable and I didn't want to make her uncomfortable since..."

" Crying in front of other isn't her thing yeah I know. "

" Anyway. " Nat added, coming closer to you. "How are you feeling ? "

" Well I have a hell of a headache. " You let out a small groan of pain. " But I feel surprisingly fine for someone who just got crushed under a building. "

" That was incredibly reckless of you you know ? " The redhead gave you her worried mum face. " It's a miracle you're still alive and not entirely paralyzed. "

" Well I survived didn't I ? "

You grinned at Nat which caused her to roll her eyes. You kinda felt guilty about causing her and Kate to worry but you couldn't have just let your partner die right ?

" Since you heard our conversation, you must have a lot of questions to ask. " She added, sitting next to you. " And it's perfectly understandable but...I'm afraid it's not my story to tell. "

" But Nat" You tried despite knowing it was pointless. " How can I...get close to Kate and fix our relationship if I don't understand what made her like this ? All I want is to help her, she is my partner after all. Who is this him you were talking about ? "

" Look" Nat sighted. " I do think it would be great if you knew about it because Kate could really use her partner's support however...I can't break her trust like this. I'm the only adult she feels comfortable talking to and I can't lose her Y/n, I'm sorry. Just be patient with her okay ? She'll come to you when she's ready. "

You nodded, understanding her point of view despite your obvious disappointment. Of course Nat's wouldn't betray Kate, she was a trustworthy person after all.

" Okay, I'm gonna get you a doctor. " The older girl finally stated before getting up to leave. " And Y/n, like I said, I won't tell you anything but...you're a smart girl. I'm sure you can connect the dots. "

She closed the door behind her before you could say anything, leaving you alone with your questions.

You tried to think about the conversation you had just heard. Whoever that him Kate was missing so much was, he seemed to be pretty close to the redhead since she had admitted missing him as well.

Of course you knew Nat had lost someone she deeply cared about recently but...how could Kate know him like that ? You had no idea she had ever been close to the legendary Hawkeye (Yup Clint is dead in this. Sorry but I needed it for the plot.)