Something there

Yes I know I still need to write the third part of my last one shot but I just can't find any inspiration and I didn't want to wait forever to post something so...there you go.

Yelena is your bestfriend. You two constantly flirt with each other as a joke but you have never expected your relationship to become anything more than platonic. Only an idiot could start liking their best friend almost out of nowhere. Right?

"He just asked me on a date." Yelena declared with a small smile. "The guy we talked to yesterday at that party."

"Wait, what guy?" You were confused, not remembering anyone in particular. "Someone asked for your number?"

"My Instagram yeah. He wants us to go grab some coffee tomorrow. Say we could learn to know each other better."

"Wow, Yelena that's great!" You grinned at her and she grinned back. "Come on, show me some picture!"

The blonde immediately reached for her phone and you spent the afternoon scrolling through the mysterious guy's Instagram and talking about your love life.

It was nothing unusual, you and Yelena always supported each other when it came to dating advices. She would listen to you talk about your hopeless crushes (somehow you always ended falling for girls you couldn't have) and, more rarely, you would also help her.

For some reason, the blonde seemed much less interested in dating than you were. While you had download at least 3 different dating apps, she claimed to be just fine on her own.

Which is why the idea of her going on a date with a guy she barely knew didn't feel right. Of course it had nothing to do with the fact that just imagining him touching her made you sad. Nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were cleaning up your room in the shared apartment you and Yelena had just moved in together when you heard the blonde opening the door.

You fought the urge to immediately ask her about her date. Maybe she wanted to keep some things for herself and you didn't want to overstep.

"He is nice." Your best friend spontaneously declared, satisfying your curiosity. "And he wants to see me again, maybe some time next week".

"Okay." You smiled. "That's great. I hope it'll work out!"

The blonde shrugged which made you think she may not care about this guy that much after all.

"Yeah, I don't know. I think I like him more as a friend than anything else. But we'll see I guess."

She disappeared in the kitchen and that's when you noticed the strange feeling that her words had triggered in you.

Was it...disappointment because you wanted Yelena to be happy? Probably.

Deep down you knew it was something much deeper than that but you chose to ignore it. Just like you had chosen to ignore your uneasiness when the blonde had told you about her date (denial is a river in Egypt).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been about one week since Yelena's first date with Parker (yeah, his name was Parker) and she hadn't really said anything new about him. They had taken another drink together but she still didn't seem particularly interested.

And as for you, you were starting to realize that maybe, just maybe, there was something in the way you looked at Yelena that wasn't there before.

It was still difficult for you to understand it but it was there, you could feel it. It was possibly the fact that, being now roommates , you and your bestfriend were almost never apart.

She was there when you woke up in the morning, when you went to sleep, when you brushed your teeth...One could have think it would have made you sick of her but on the contrary you found yourself craving her presence even more.

When she wasn't there, it was almost as if a part of you was missing. And living with Yelena also allows you to notice plenty of small things about her you had never seen before. Stuff as stupid as the kind of cereals she liked the most, the color of her favorite pyjama, the brand of shampoo she used...

Your relationship was much more intimate than before and that did not help you understand what you wanted.

You had always thought Yelena and you were just friends but then...you were not so sure anymore.

With your constant flirting your relationship had been ambiguous for quite a long time.

The line between platonic and romantic feelings could easily become blurry and this was even truer in what you and her had.

And yet, something felt different. You found yourself thinking about her in...a new way.

It didn't make sense because you had known Yelena for several months and had never wanted anything like that with her. And yet, it was happening.

You definitely felt more protective of the blonde, more jealous as well. Her smiles also made you feel...happier? than they used to.

Her hugs were different, cuddling her as she drifted to sleep while watching a movie was different, everything felt different!

You knew those feelings were dangerous. More than dangerous, they could cost you your relationship with Yelena.

And you couldn't lose her, that was absolutely out of question.

She was the best thing that had happened to you since you had started college.

But you felt like you were losing control of what had first started as a simple crush.

You were possibly falling in love with your best friend and roommate, the tension was building up between you and you had no idea how you were gonna get out of this mess.

Why did your stupid feelings ALWAYS had to ruin everything?