Ch 16: Burnt City

I walked back up the hall looking at a closed door. I sighed walking towards the security room. I found Gar talking to Dick as the lights suddenly went out. The back up generator turned on as the two turned around to me. I walked out to the living room looking out the window.

"The city's blacking out" Gar said.

"It's Dr. Light. He's redirecting the energy, looking for a light delivery system to refuel" Dick said.

"How about a stadium" Gar said.

I turned to him then back out the window. Dick turned to me taking a deep breath. I nodded grabbing Donna, Dawn and Hank. We followed Dick down the hall as he talked.

"Lit up five minutes ago. He's gonna use the stadium to recharge" he said.

"He's a grandiose motherfucker, isn't he?" Hank said.

"It's a challenge" Dawn said.

"Or a trap" I said.

"What he doesn't know is that we're all here" Dick said. "He's asking for a party of one."

"But what if he's counting on all of us going" I said.

"He's not" he said.

"Let's give him a party of five" Hank said.

I shook my head disagreeing with the plan. Jason walked out in his robin suit smiling.

"What, we're on the move?" He asked.

"Yeah to Omaha" Hank said. "We'll drop you off at the bus station."

"This doesn't have anything to do with you. We'll handle it" Dick said to the boy.

"Look I didn't come here to empty the dishwasher" he snapped. "At least let me run interference or something."

"This isn't Gotham, Jason. You stay here" I said.

The five of us walked to the elevator going down. Dick took out earpieces handing them to us. He turned to me sighing as I put the earpiece in my pocket.

"Transport us there?" He asked.

"Lucky for you, I learned a new trick" I said.

I closed my eyes holding my right hand out and my left hand near my body. I took a deep breath making a circle with my right hand creating a portal.

"When did you learn that?" Donna asked.

"Spent a week with a sorcerer to better understand my mutant powers" I said.

"Nice!" Hank smiled.

I walked through the portal with the other four close behind. I grabbed the earpiece from my pocket putting it in my left ear. Quickly we split up as I felt another surge of energy as I did before.

"Heading towards the field section nine" Donna said.

"Section sixteen" Dawn said.

"Section twenty-four" Hank said.

"Section thirty" I said.

"Moving into position in section two" Dick said.

I walked up the stairs looking down onto the field. Dr. Light had four beams of light going into his hands, absorbing it. He dropped his hands smiling.

"I'm glad you could make it!" He yelled.

He turned around to Dick who was walking onto the field.

"All of you" he said.

"Fucking knew it" I said.

"So much for the party of five surprise" Hank said.