Ch 18: Deathstroke

I watched as Dick examined the wound.

"I'm fine, it's fine" I said.

"It doesn't look fine" he snapped.

"Doesn't hurt as bad anymore" I said.

He put his hands in his pockets looking to my eyes.

"You ready to tell me?" I asked.

He sighed walking closer. I put my right hand to his cheek as he grabbed my wrist.

"Just tell me, Dick" I whispered. "Please."

We both turned around as Gar practically ran to the rooms.

"You should go" he said. "He likes you more."

I nodded walking after him. I found him in Rachel's room as she examined something on his hand.

"Jasons, gone" Gar said.

"What happened to Jason?" I asked.

Gar turned around frowning.

"What did you do" I said.

I grabbed his arm walking out of the room.

"I'll explain!" He said.

Walking down the hall I motioned for Dick to follow us. Dick sat at the chair looking at the screens. I nudged Gar as he began to talk.

"We figured out that Dr. Light is in the train tunnels" he said. "Jason wanted to prove to you- well more Dick, that he wasn't a reject."

"You called him a reject!" I said to Dick.

"No" he said clenching his jaw.

"We were gonna come right back" Gar said. "And then, Jason wanted to split up. And then I heard him scream and I ran but they were already gone."

"Why did you go out there in the first place? On your own, with no weapons, no backup" Dick said.

"I'm sorry" Gar said.

I could see the fear in his eyes as he spoke.

"I just need details" Dick said. "Specifics. Just write down everything you remember."

He handed Gar a notepad not taking his eyes away from the screen.

"I'm searching for his tracker now" he said.

"Subject offline" the computer said.

"Maybe I can find him" I said. "I haven't done it in a while, but I should be able to."

"Doesn't it take a lot of your energy?" He asked.

I smiled nodding. Dick pushed Gar out of the room as I closed my eyes. I held my hands out clearing my mind of all things. I began looking through the minds of the citizens of California as Donna stormed in.

"Why did they go after Dr. Light by themselves in the first place?" She asked.

"I was looking for him when you interrupted" I said.

"I don't know" Dick said. "He's been complaining about being left out lately."

"Oh don't blame yourself" Hank said walking in with Dawn. "Shit stirrer did this on his own."

I turned to the screen to see a map of the tunnels.

"There must be twenty or thirty miles of tunnel down there" Dawn said.

"Maybe more" Donna said.

"We can't cover all this ground in one night" Hank said.

I closed my eyes trying once more to focus on Jason's mind. I jumped as Dick put his hand on my arm.