Ch 41: S.T.A.R. Labs

The RV stopped as we all got out. I looked at the sign in front of the building, feeling a sense of guilt. The last time I had been to S.T.A.R. Labs was right before my father had died. I looked to my right to see Connor staring at a statue of our father. I jumped as America put her arm around me.

"You okay, kiddo?" I asked.

"Are they going to do tests on me?" She asked.

"They might but they are harmless" I said. "Don't worry, I'll be with you the entire time."

She smiled as we walked inside.

"S.T.A.R. Labs. Scientific and Technological Advance Research Laboratories" Tim said. "Built by Garrison Slate in 1971. Dedicated to pure scientific research, but no private or government affiliations."

"Tim, I love you, but please stop talking" I said.

"Sorry" he said.

"Titans, I presume" someone said.

I looked up to see Bernard.

"Bernard. Good to see you" Dick said.

"Good to see you again, Mr. Grayson" he said. "And you, Ms. Kent. Oh, wait, I'm sorry. Mrs. Gryason, and congratulations again."

"Thank you" I said. "Looking good, Bernie."

"I hated when you called me that" he said. "Anyways, I am so, so happy that you're all here. My name is Bernard Fitzmartin and I am the Director of Special Projects here at S.T.A.R. Laboratories. This is Dr. Espenson the Director of Applied Sciences, and we have got a very big day planned. We've been scrambling a little, since we heard you were coming today but we've managed to put together a few things for you."

I could feel America's heart beat increase as I squeezed her arm to calm her.

"So, why don't I show you what we've been working on and you show us what you can do" Espenson said.

"If you'd follow the good doctor" Bernard said.

I followed the kids and Kory when Bernard called back Dick and Conner. My phone began buzzing as I quickly pulled it out. Tommy's name appeared on my phone as I branched away from the group to answer the call.

"Hey, is everything okay?" I asked.

"Billy has become the Sorcerer Supreme" he said.

"What? I thought he still had more training to do" I said. "Plus Clea can't just openly give up the position."

"Clea's dead, Liv" he said.

My ears began ringing as I put my hand to my chest.

"When? H-how?" I asked.

"Nobody knows" he said. "All magic users were called to the Kamar Taj for the coronation of the new Sorcerer Supreme."

"Is that where you are right now?" I asked.

"Yeah, mom is too" he said. "Liv, she's been dead for days and nobody noticed. There's whispers of who it was."

I looked over my shoulder to see Dick waiting for me.

"Keep me posted but be discreet. There's something wrong if I was not aware of this" I said.

"They think it was you" he said.

"What?" I said.

"They say you killed her to make your brother the Sorcerer Supreme" he said.

"Billy was already foreseen to become the Sorcerer Supreme even before Strange died, the Ancient One said he would be the most powerful before she died herself" I said. "I'd have no reason to kill Clea, you must know this."