Ch 47: The Great Counsel

I leaned against the wall of the cell I was in, hearing footsteps approach. I looked up to see my mother. 

"Oh, Olivia" she sighed. "I never wished for you to be in this position."

"You know I didn't kill her, right?" I said. 

"Of course" she said. 

"I don't know what to do" I whispered. 

"They're not letting me see Billy alone, they think I'll persuade him to go easy on you" she said. 

"Never in my life did I think my life would depend on my twenty four year old brother" I said. 

"It's starting soon" she said. 

"Where's America?" I asked. "Have they hurt her?" 

"She's safe.. for now" she said. "They're waiting to get through with your trial before they decide what to do with her. They know her abilities, and what you did."

"I prevented a multiversal war from happening, I stopped incursions from destroying other worlds" I said. "I did one thing, one bad thing.. and they make me out to be a villain."

"It's clear by your fingertips that you've been reading the Darkhold" she said. 

"I haven't let it corrupt me" I said. "Everyone else who's read it let it corrupt them, I'm not evil. I'm not a good person but I'm not evil."

My mother turned around as sorcerers approached. 

"The trial will begin" one said. "Your counsel has been summoned."

I took a deep breath, standing up as my mother moved to the side for the sorcerers to open the cell. They motioned for me to get out, I did exactly that as they watched my every move carefully. 

We stopped in front of two large doors as I remained calm as best as I could. The doors swung open as sorcerers from around the world turned to look at me. Many with disgust but some with guilt. 

I looked to the ground as I walked until two of the sorcerers grabbed my arms to stop. I looked up to see Billy staring down at me before I was forced to my knees. He looked as if he wanted to cry and yet he was so composed. I turned my head to the left to see my counsel, surprised to see Zatanna standing in between Mordo and Illyana. 

My mouth gaped open as she smiled, slightly nodding her head. In that split second I felt relief, Zatanna was very well respected when it came to magic wielders, that or they were scared of her. 

"You are on trial for the murder of Clea, the previous Sorcerer Supreme and daughter of Umar" Billy said. "How do you plead?"

"Not guilty" I said. "If I had killed Clea, I would not be on my knees before you. These restraints do nothing but accessorize my outfit. If I wanted to, I could break out of these with ease."

"Your counsel has spoken on your behalf for some time now" he said. "They say you were framed, what do you think of this?"

"I was" I said. 

"You've done many crimes, why should we believe you?" Sara asked. 

I looked at the dark skinned woman to Billy's left. 

"I had no reason to kill her" I said. 

"She wanted you to reverse the spell, and you didn't want to" she said. 

"How am I to say goodbye to my parents? To my brother?" I said. "I didn't know that spell would bring them back, I truly didn't. I only remember skimming through the spell but I knew enough as to what I needed to do."