Ch 31: Chthon

I sat at the table with a cup of coffee in hand as Conner took the pan out of the oven. A woman walked in as I set the cup down.

"Can you hand me a knife?" He asked her.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked.

She took the butcher knife from the wall smiling.

"Didn't my sister tell you I'm dangerous?" She asked.

"Pretty sure I can take you" he said.

"Let's test that theory" she said.

As she threw the knife I held my hand out levitating the knife before it made it's way to Conner. I looked at Kory tilting my head.

"Mind telling me who the hell this is?" I asked.

"Yeah um" she said motioning for me to follow her. "That's my sister."

"Sister?" I said.

"It's a long story, Olivia" she said. "You'll need to keep your eye on her."

I nodded my head as I walked back to the room to find Dick sitting up.

"How you feeling?" I asked.

"Like shit" he said.

"Go figure" I said.

"We need to go" he said.

"Where?" I asked.

"Thomas and Martha Wayne Memorial" he said. "The surgeons were all killed."

"Dick, I know you want to help but you just got shot" I said.

"Okay?" He said. "Meet me at the car."

I rolled my eyes walking out to the car. He walked outside minutes later with Kory behind him. The three of us walked down the hall of the hospital as Kory pulled out her phone.

"Gar texted the name of the machine. A short wave positron multiplier" she said. "The kid who they were operating on needed it for his procedure."

"What could he possibly be doing with that machine" I said. "Obviously he's not looking to save sick kids."

"And who is this new accomplice?" She said. "Witness I spoke to said the killer was a woman. Blonde hair, bad attitude. The only person she spared was the patient."

We stopped in front of an officer who looked between the three of us.

"You, Dick Grayson and Olivia Kent? Kory Anders?" He asked.

"How'd you know?" Dick asked.

"You're not allowed access" he said.

"On whose orders?" Dick asked.

"Barbara Gordon's" he said.

Dick amusingly smiled as we turned around.

"We don't need her to track down who's working for Crane" he said.

"Dick!" I said. "I know the two of you had this weird relationship type thing going on when we weren't together-"

"It wasn't a relationship" he said.

"I'll be at the car" Kory said walking away.

"Point is, there is somewhat of a history between you two and we need her to track down Crane, Jason and now this new killer. You and Barbara, fix it! The faster we get done with this whole mess the faster we can go home" I said.

I found Kory leaning against the car as I threw a portal. I walked through it as did she. I looked around the room walking towards the library. I sat at the chair with a book in hand trying so hard to get my mind off everything. I threw the book to the wall, taking a deep breath. I leaned against the wall slowly falling down to the ground. I walked down the hall bumping into Gar.

"You seen Dick?" I asked.

"Yeah, he left ten minutes ago" he said.

"Where?" I asked.

"Barbara called him" he said.

"Okay" I sighed.

Hours later I sat down at the kitchen table holding my head in my hands as flashes appeared. I began to feel the pain of millions of people as I fell to the ground. The flashes soon turned to a being. I looked around as a being appeared. He grabbed my body wrapping his many tentacles around my body.

"You think you can stop me?" He asked.

His body turned from some sort of monster to a human body. His eyes were red as he smirked.

"You're very beautiful" he said. "I'd rather not kill you. We could rule this universe together."

"You deserve death" I said.

I fell to the ground as roots grew around my arms and body making their way to my neck.

"We could be unstoppable" he said. "Join me."

"I will never" I said.

He shook his head ticking his tongue.

"Then you choose death" he said. "You can't defeat me."

"If I have to die in the process, that is a price I'm willing to pay for the universe" I gasped. "As long as you're gone."

He grabbed my neck as a burning sensation went throughout my entire body. I screamed out as he laughed. I sat up looking at Dick who grabbed my head.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

His eyes darted all over my body and face. I felt something enter the world as Dick began talking but I couldn't hear the words he was trying to say. A single tear fell down my face.

"He's here" I said.

"Who? Who is here?" He asked.

"Chthon" I said.

I looked into his eyes as I knew what I needed to do. I stood up throwing a portal. I began to walk towards it as Dick grabbed my arm.

"Don't" he said.

"You know I need to" I said. "I can't avoid it."

He grabbed my face wiping the tears as they fell down my face.

"I can't lose you again" he said.

I forced a smile not knowing what the future would hold.

"I can't guarantee I'll come back" I said shakily.

"Don't say that, please don't say that" he said.

"It's the truth. I have the power inside me to defeat him but it could kill me" I said.

"Olivia" he said as his eyes watered.

"I love you" I whispered.

"I would say it back but I'll be waiting for you to come back" he said. "Because you will."

I crashed my lips onto his for a moment before pulling apart. I took one last look into his eyes as I ran through the portal.