Ch 22: Atlantis

I sat at the end of Conner's bed staring at his face. I smiled watching Krypto jump onto the bed laying on the boy.

"I don't know if you can hear me. But I guess you're my brother?" I said squinting my eyes. "My da- our dad, was one of the most kind and loving people I had the pleasure of knowing. He cared about this planet so much and the people inhabiting it."

Krypto put his head on my lap nuzzling his head underneath my hand.

"You look a lot like him. The moment I saw you, I felt a connection before knowing" I said.

I turned my head as Gar talked into his phone for his daily update. I smiled patting Krypto before walking out. I stood near the windows looking out as my eyes landed on a body of water hundreds of miles out. I took a deep breath as Gar walked up next to me.

"I know you need me here kid but I have somewhere to go" I said. "I need to get something I loaned to another to protect."

"Oh come on not you too" he said.

"I shouldn't be gone longer than a day" I said. "I gave the Atlanteans something to protect" I said.

"Atlanteans?" He asked smiling. "Like Aquaman?"

"Like Aquaman" I laughed. "Growing up him and Bruce trained me to fight, well mainly Bruce. But Arthur was the one who told me to never rely on my powers and often times I seem to forget that."

"Can I go?" He asked.

"Someone has to watch the tower, Gar" I said. "I promise it won't take me more than a day. But I need to do it, soon."

"What did you give them?" He asked.

I went back and forth whether or not I should tell the truth.

"There's these stones called the Infinity Stones. They were made during the Big Bang" I said. "They each have different powers but together, I don't know what could possibly happen if they were used as one. I was tasked to protect the Space Stone at just nineteen years old. After Garth had died, Arthur came by to retrieve his things and body. It was hard for him and I hated to ask him to take it. I didn't feel like I was worthy to."

"But you were chosen to protect it" he said.

"At the time I didn't think I should've been" I said. "But I need to get it back. The Atlanteans are great warriors but I'm afraid they won't be able to fight whoever is coming for it."

"I understand" he said.

I smiled grabbing his shoulder.

"I'll be back" I said.

I walked past the combat room stopping in the very room all of the Titans suits once resided. I glanced at the spot where Garth's suit used to hang. I hurriedly walked back to my room grabbing the box from underneath the bed. I took out the dark green suit putting it on. I put my hair into a low pony tail before closing my eyes. I opened my eyes back up taking a deep breath as I walked towards the water.

"Best not to go in there!" A man yelled.

"The water's mighty cold!" Another yelled.

I ignored the yells from the men continuing to walk. I put my hand near my head creating a small force field. I dove underwater looking around. I began swimming until I was met with two guards.

"State your business" one of them said.

"I'm here to see Arthur" I said.

"Turn around" the other said.

"I know you are protecting something down here" I said. "I'm here to retrieve it."

The guards held tighter onto their Tritons as I held my hands up.

"I'm Olivia Kent" I said. "There's someone coming and you won't be able to defeat him."

Arthur swam up as he fought back a smile. He nodded to the guards as they swam away.

"Olivia" he said.

"Arthur" I responded. "I need the Space Stone back."

He motioned for me to follow him. I swam after him deep down into the water. There were about twenty guards surrounding the Space Stone. Water began swirling as I began falling to the ground catching myself before hitting the ground. I looked up to see Mera walking towards us.

"Why have you returned?" She asked.

"I'm only here to take back the stone" I said.

"I thought I made it very clear I never wanted to see you again?" She said. "You killed him."

"I didn't do anything" I said. "It was his choice to come to San Francisco."

"Well of course it was his choice, but you were the one who convinced him to do so" she said walking towards me. "If he hadn't, he'd still be alive."

"You never liked me, Mera" I said. "I don't want to fight you."

"A fight?" She asked. "You were a selfish young girl who ever cared about herself."

I felt my eyes glow as I created a psionic sword with my right hand. Arthur stepped in front of me slightly pushing me away.

"Olivia! Would your father want you fighting the Queen of Atlantis?" He asked.

"He wouldn't be able to see because he's dead" I said looking up. "I just want the stone."

I walked towards it slowly grabbing it. I turned around placing another small force field around my head. I left the air bubble flying to the surface. I flew to land, slowly lowering myself to the ground. I looked at the stone feeling someone behind me. I turned around to see Arthur nodding his head. He walked towards me wrapping his arms around my body.

"Your dad would be proud of you, Olivia" he said. "I know he's up there smiling down."

"Thanks" I said forcing a smile.

"I don't know what this stone does or why it needs to be protected but I trust you'll do a better job than we would be able to" he said. "Save the universe, kiddo."

I nodded my head as I began to walk away.

"I got something for you, actually" he said.

I turned around as he had a photo in hand. I quickly walked back grabbing it from his hands. I smiled looking at younger versions of Garth, Donna and myself.

"I forgot about this" I smiled.

"Yeah it was when you three snuck into the Justice League cave and ended up falling asleep" he laughed.

"Thank you" I whispered looking up. "For everything."

"Atlanteans are your ally, no matter the terms we are on. I may be the king of Atlantis but I will only bow down to one" he said bowing down. "The savior to this planet and this universe."

I smiled as I wiped a tear. I turned around closing my eyes as I transported back to San Francisco. I walked to the side of the building typing in the passcode. As I walked to the elevator I looked down to the picture smiling. The doors opened as Donna stood in the center turning around. Shattered glass was everywhere with chairs from the table all over.

"What the hell happened" I said walking out.

Glass crunched underneath my feet as she looked as shocked as I did. A bloody hand print was on the side of the counter as we stared at each other.