Ch 17: Garth

I put my suit on looking at my reflection. I cracked my neck turning to Garth who winked. I smiled as we followed the others down the hall. The five of them grabbed my arms and shoulders as I closed my eyes transporting. We quickly split up as Dick threw a blade to one of the assailants. I twisted my hands throwing a psionic ball to one as they ran towards Dawn behind her back. I turned around to see a guy running after Dick with a knife.

"Oh no you don't" I said.

I held my hand up taking control of his hand before throwing his body to the building. I winked at Dick as he turned around. As I looked to my right Donna and Garth stood side by side. She kicked the fire hydrant as he manipulated the water aiming it at the man running up the stairs. Dick and I walked towards him looking down. Smiling I looked back up as Garth walked closer to Donna, who smiled before frowning. She walked away from him walking towards us as he did the same.

The following day came as we decorated the living room and kitchen. I levitated the banners to the ceiling as Dawn pulled out the food.

"Get some tarter sauce with those fish sticks" Hank said.

"Really? Fish sticks" I said turning around.

"You don't know how long I've been wanting to say that" he said smiling while walking away.

I grabbed my beer from the counter taking a sip. I stood next to Dick as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

"There's the birthday boy!" I said as Garth walked out of the hall smiling.

Hank went on and on about Garth.

"And while we're all proud of the work that we did last night, to rid this city of four scumbags" he said. "A special tip of the hat to our birthday boy. Who managed to lend a hand despite being a year older. Cheers."

"Cheers" I said holding up my beer before taking a sip.

"You've only been with us four months, you read to quit yet?" Dawn asked from the kitchen.

"No retreat, no surrender" Garth said.

I followed Garth to the other side of the fire place tilting my head.

"How's it going, bud?" I asked.

"I'm glad you convinced me to come" he said.

"I missed my brother" I said. "Never really told me how Arthur took the news."

"He was mad, really mad" he said. "But it wasn't his choice."

I smiled as we both took a sip of our beers.

"Where's Donna?" He asked.

"Probably hiding in her room with a good book" I smiled.

Dawn came in with the cake in hand.

"Someone go get Donna!" She said setting the cake back down.

I walked back to the other side kissing Dick on the cheek before walking down the hall to Donna's room. I walked in to see her with headphones on, reading. I jumped into her bed taking the headphones off.

"Really!" She said.

"Come on, it's his birthday" I said. "I know you have feelings."

"I do not" she said snatching her headphones.

"Live a little" I said. "I think you need to tell him before you leave."