Ch 43: Time of Need

"Not going to lie, I thought I was going to be sent to voicemail" I said. 

"Figured it was something important if you called me" she said. "You rarely do call nowadays."

"I do care about you, you know that. It's good to hear your voice, Zatanna" I said. "But I need your help."

"The Olivia Kent needs my help? And yes, I do know it's Grayson now but Kent just rolls off the tongue better" she said.

"The masters of the mystic arts are planning to arrest me for a murder I did not commit" I said.

"I heard about Clea and I did hear the whispers that you did it" she said. "Please tell me you didn't."

"I brought Tommy back to life, and in doing so it brought my parents back to life too" I said. "For that alone I could be imprisoned. I used one of the darkest forms of magic to do that."

"I have to think about it, Liv" she said. 

"Z, I need you" I said. 

"I understand, but I have a family now. Wally and I have a child" she said. 

Guilt fell over my body as I looked up to see Dick walking towards me. 

"Just think about it. I wouldn't be asking if I didn't really need the help" I said. "Tell Wally I said congrats."

I hung up the call as Dick narrowed his eyes on me. 

"What the fuck is going on?" He asked. 

"They're coming to arrest me soon" I said. "They really think I did it. I don't know what to do to prove my innocence. I need to gather a counsel of magic users and all of them are against me."

"I'm not" Rachel said. 

I looked behind Dick to see Rachel standing tall and smiling. 

"You're still a kid. Plus, your magic would not count there" I said. "It cannot be purely demonic magic, they are very picky."

"Why do you need magic users?" She asked. 

"Rachel, go back to the others" Dick snapped. 

She reluctantly walked away as Dick grabbed my face. 

"Go back to the others, I need to try and make another phone call or two" I said. 

He kissed my forehead before walking away. I sat on the ground, closing my eyes as I searched for the mind of a young woman by the name of Illyana Rasputin. I found her smiling as I entered her mind. 

We entered a plane of sorts as everything was white. She looked around, grabbing her body to make sure she wasn't dead. 

"Long time no see, kid" I said. 

"Olivia" she smiled. "I hate when you do this."

"It's fun" I said. 

"I know why you're here. And the answer is yes. I know you wouldn't kill Clea" she said. 

"So, you've already heard?" I asked. 

"They've asked me to assist in arresting you" she said. 

"Figured" I said. "You seen Tommy?"

She shook her head as I sighed. 

"I think you should call him before my arrest. You both deserve to be happy even if you don't feel like you do" I said. "I know you love him. Don't run away because you are scared, Illyana."

She forced a smile as I stepped back, falling back into my own head. I opened my eyes once again, walking back to the others as I tried to think of anyone else who could be on my side. Everyone was walking back to the RV as I noticed Conner wasn't there. I grabbed Dick's arm as he passed by me. 

"You let him go?" I asked. 

"It's not like I could've stopped him" he said. 

I got onto the RV, going to sit beside America. I wrapped my arm around her as Dick started driving. We stopped to get pizza as all the kids began munching. America offered me a bite of her pizza as I graciously declined. 

I stood up as my phone pinged. I glanced at my phone to see a text from an unknown number. I clicked the message, instantly knowing who it was. 

Unknown 

  I hear you are looking to gather a counsel for your untimely arrest

Me

  Plan on helping me out, Baron?

I dropped my phone as Rachel began screaming. Tim and Gar were holding her as she began flailing. Krypto was barking at her as I put my hand up to him to calm down. I tilted my head, looking at her as I attempted to calm her down. She suddenly stopped screaming, looking at all of us. 

"What happened?" She asked. 

I glanced at Kory and Dick as Rachel looked scared.