Ch 30: Sniper

I walked into the kitchen as Conner stood at the sink.

"I failed" he said. "Superman would've never failed."

"Contrary to popular belief, Clark Kent was far from perfect" I said. "What matters is you try your best, sometimes you can't save everybody."

"But you have" he said.

I shook my head disagreeing.

"I've saved a lot of people but I've also seen a lot of people die" I said. "That's what makes you a hero, heroes aren't perfect."

I put my arm around Gar kissing his head.

"I need to find Dawn" I said.

I walked out of the kitchen bumping into Dick.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"Should be outside waiting for us" he said.

I walked alongside him as we waiting outside. He pulled out his phone showing me a picture.

"How did you get Clea's number?" I asked.

"Went back there and asked for it" he shrugged. "You see the pictures of her?"

"I did" I said. "I don't want her apart of this life."

"What?" He asked.

"Her entire life, she's spent her days cooped up with Strange and Clea, learning to use her powers" I said. "She needs a normal life, Dick. Not a life of hiding."

"Hiding?" He asked. "She's not hiding."

"Chthon is going to return and he's going to try and kill me" I said. "He's gonna go after her. I'm scared Clea isn't going to be able to fend him off without Strange. Two of the most powerful magic wielders are dead, Clea might not be able to handle it without them."

"So what? Where do we keep her?" He asked. 

"I don't know" I said.

Dawn walked out as our conversation ended. As we neared the air strip, a single plane sat in the middle.

"Where you off to?" I asked.

"Paris" she said.

"Paris?" Dick said.

"For now. I'll hold up in my family's place" she said. "See what the world looks like without Dove."

"I'm gonna miss you" I said. "A lot."

She sighed looking between the two of us.

"I worry about where your mind is going, both of yours" she said.

"Jason needs to be stopped" I said.

"How's he's stopped matters" she said.

"Not with Hank dead. Deathstroke damaged us all, but none of us turned into a killer" Dick said.

"Speak for yourself" she said.

"Dawn" I said.

"I remember specifically telling you not to become Batman. I knew what Gotham could do to a person" she said. "Bruce was on to something when he walked away from this. Hank wanted to stop too. Even Olivia hung up her suit."

She sniffled looking down.

"I know in my heart there's a way out. There's something more on the other side" she said turning to me. "You could always come with me."

"As much as I'd love to look over the French country side, I have to save the universe" I said. "I also can't ditch my daughter and I guess him."

I nudged Dick smiling.