004

the way old friends do – abba

summer of 1991

every last friday of the month, the losers, rhian, carla, and artemis goes to a pub that simon mentioned a few years ago that y/f/n used to go to in ludlow. it was sort of their new thing when y/n wanted to start a band with the girls—in exchange of to still be a member of their group. y/n thought they were pathetic for it but at least she's got a band.

and why every last friday of the month if you may ask, the four of them always have their period a week before the end of the month, carla nonchalantly suggested it was a good idea to do it because their anger would still linger for it when they play a song. it was the only time the four of them get along with each other—especially all y/n do is start a banter with the three of them when they're all together.

y/n got the guitar she's been dreaming from mr. lowe's shop with richie's help. the last time richie talked to y/f/n was about the guitar and courting y/n, she found out about it when richie told her in her room after they kissed. they visited y/f/n's grave after. y/n didn't know that richie was working at mr. lowe's shop in secret to help her earn a money to buy the guitar. y/n's never been so much happy and grateful for it.

mr. lowe has been a great help for them, he let them tag in his van when he goes to ludlow to pick up things for his shop, and especially joe, who's the son of the owner of the pub, who helped them to have their gigs and earn surprisingly a big amount of money with just singing five songs. he sometimes even drove them home.

the girls have $60 each because the costumers adored the band. richie insisted that the guitar was his gift for her when she insists to pay him back after earning money. a kiss was enough, a sappy boy once said.

y/n treats them few meals from the pub because they don't allow giving beers to minors, but joe had managed to find a way to slip them some for free. sometimes he even take them home for free. and when the band plays, richie almost shoved everyone on his way just to embarrassingly cheer on them and screaming "that's my girl!" while pointing at y/n singing 'teenage whore' by hole. he really did stand being a 'groupie' when y/n jokingly called him one.

"ben, my friend, you have a ridiculous taste in music." richie shakes his head on y/n's lap. they're at the quarry on a saturday morning, they always sleep at the clubhouse after they got in derry from the pub. their parents still think that they're just sleeping in their room on typical summer days. "iron maiden, little richard, the runaways, ac/dc, aerosmith—are rock bands, not abba—"

"excuse me? abba is not ridiculous—" y/n defends, tearing her hand away from his wet curls.

richie shushed her, "we're teaching ben here proper education about music, toots. and stan?"

stanley tried to look at him while mike was trying to put his weight all over him to sink him down in the water.

"paul anka isn't a rock star either, dumbass!" richie shouts, then he gives y/n a quick peck on her lips before opening his mouth again to roast ben. "listen, haystack, if you wat—"

"i'm sorry i just really can't believe you two are really dating," eddie gags, pretending to vomit. "do you really have to kiss right now? you do know that you could get aids for kissing too much and since richie here probably caught it."