twenty-nine

The car ride home was filled with high emotions

Jora was pissed that she didn't get to put her hands on Roxy.

Audrey was shaken up due to the quick escalation of the situation.

I, on the other hand, was worried. My brain went into overtime as all of these questions and concerns ran me into a frenzy.

What if somebody saw them? What if it was a setup on Edwards's part? Were there cameras that caught them fighting?

Edwards had nothing to lose. His chances at getting drafted into the NBA this year were slim to none due to his hand injury. This was Carson's last year; he had everything to lose. He was Captian of the team, his stats were off the charts, and he was rumored to be the number one first-round draft pick for the 2022 NBA draft.

All eyes were on him.

'' Babe,'' Sky grabbed my hand, squeezing it as she brought me out of my overthinking. ''Stop stressing, everything will be fine.'' I appreciated her trying to calm my nerves, I did. But everyone's emotions were high during the altercation– none of us took the time to think about the consequences.

I chewed on my thumbnail as the driver pulled up to our building. '' We don't know that. What if there were cameras hidden in blind spots of the parking lot? What if-''

Skylar covered my mouth with her palm, cutting me off from my rant. '' Take a deep breath in,'' I followed her instructions, inhaling a breath as she did it with me. '' Now exhale.'' We both exhaled. I found myself a little lighter than I was a few seconds ago, but it wasn't much help for my uneasiness.

'' Come on,'' she offered me her hand, helping me out of the car. '' The boys should be here any minute. Everything will be fine, Ayanna. Edwards isn't smart enough to come up with a plan to set up Carson if somebody paid him.'' I choked on my laughter as she charged for the elevator, punching the button to call it repeatedly.

'' Sky, punching the button over and over will not make it come any faster.'' Sky threw an incredulous look at me as the elevator door opened,'' So says you.'' I roll my eyes as I follow her onto the elevator.

'' I'm fucking starved,'' she fusses as the elevator starts to ascend,'' All this petty drama is making me hungry. A girl can only handle one headache at a time– now we have to deal with two.''

Skylar had me cracking up the entire ride up to our floor. She ranted about debating whether or not to send her therapy bill to Edwards and Roxy for the immense distress they had created today. I was doubling over in laughter, my stomach clenching so hard as I tried to catch my breath.

'' You are a mess, Skylar McKay.'' Sky shrugged her shoulders indifferently, watching me struggle to get my key into the keyhole.

'' I made you laugh, that was the goal,'' she grinned proudly, snatching the key from me.'' This is the wrong key, dumbass.''