forty-two

It was six-thirty on a Saturday morning

The guys and I had to be up early in order to make it on time to catch the team bus. Our bags were packed and loaded inside of the car last night, leaving us to shower and get dressed this morning. The basketball house would've been chaos if none of us had prepared beforehand.

And we only thought to do that if it wasn't for the girls helping pack our suitcases the night before.

Looking out of the bathroom mirror, I could see Ayanna's sleeping form wrapped up in my sheets. Her naked body halfway on display thanks to my navy blue sheets pooling around her stomach.

She got hot quickly during the night so I always made sure that the comforter was always folded to the bottom of the bed. Her head was turned, curly hair sprawled across the silk pillowcases that I had brought just for her when she slept over.

Sighing, I pushed away from the mirror and checked my appearance one last time. After tucking my chain into my hoodie, I grabbed my beanie and placed it over my semi dry hair before picking up my toiletries bag and exiting the bathroom.

I tiptoed softly across the hardwood floor, reaching my backpack and threw the bag inside, zipping it up before approaching the bed.

My shoes weren't on yet. They sat at the foot of the bed while I climbed inside, laying on top of the covers as I observed her sleeping figure.

I didn't want to wake her up. She looked so peaceful while she was sleeping. But I knew that if I didn't, she would give me hell for not allowing her to say goodbye to me before I left.

Bringing my hand up, I gently palmed her face, letting my thumb create small circles on her cheek as she shifted. Her fingers began to twitch, much like they did when she started to wake up. And then she released a soft sigh before turning over to her side, facing me.

Ayanna was a light sleeper, it didn't take much to wake her.

" Is it time?" Her voice was raspy and filled with sleep as she kept her eyes closed.

I smiled softly, shifting my head closer to hers as she opened her eyes. " Yeah, Angel. It's time for me to go." I whisper as she shakes her head.

She had been dreading me leaving for a whole month now. We had done as much as possible before I had to leave to get on the road but I knew that it wasn't enough.

I wished that I could pack her up and bring her with me. But she had priorities as well and she needed to put those before me.

" I don't want you to go." She wrapped her arms around my neck, her lips turned downwards as I brush the pad of my thumb over them.

" I know, baby." I sigh, placing my forehead against hers as her eyes flutter shut softly. " But I have to go. It won't be for long. It's only a month and it'll go by right before our eyes. And then the next time you see me, I'll be a NCAA champion."