Chapter 2 Presents

The gates of Clouds Recesses were crowded today.

Yezi was there with her sister to say goodbye to their other sister, Zai Shu Xia, who was to leave today, although JingYi and Zhitiao were both going to the seaside with her.

Yezi hugged her sister one last time.

"Promise me you'll come and visit me there." Yezi sobbed. "You haven't even met Haitch. Or any of the lovely kids..."

"Kids?" Zai Shu Xia asked in surprise.

"Yeah, when the war was over, we adopted loads. Hui Gai made his Palace into a home for them. That's why you should come and stay for a while."

Hui Gai suddenly appeared next to Li XiWang.

Yezi spotted him and shouted, "see? I know you love me really!"

Hui Gai made a face and turned away, picking up the little girl instead.

Li XiWang was delighted to see him, throwing her arms around his neck and squealing when he threw her up into the air. Rumi tugged on his tail and Hui Gai laughed, picking him up too.

Li XiWang noticed her mother staring at them and her own smile faltered. Hui Gai saw, and turned her around so she couldn't see her.

"What's up, Little rabbit?" He asked her, meaningfully.

Li XiWang shook her head, not wanting to talk about.

"Where are your fathers?" He asked.

"They're coming. In the Jingshi." She replied.

Hui Gai vanished with the children, turning up outside their home. Lan Zhan and Wei Ying were just coming out, when they saw him.

Wei Ying ran towards him, arms open and welcoming.

"I need to talk to you." He was talking to Wei Ying but looking at Lan Zhan for permission.

Lan Zhan was already nodding. He took the children, gesturing that he wouldn't be far.

"Why is Li XiWang afraid of Zai Shu Xia?" Hui Gai got straight to the point.

Wei Ying told him everything.

"I think it was a misunderstanding, that's all." Wei Ying added.

"Want me to teach her a lesson?"

Wei Ying smacked his arm lightly.

"I should say no..." He grinned back though.

"Consider it a favour. No strings attached. But you're looking worried."

Wei Ying sighed and led him to the bench under the Great magnolia tree.

"I think there are a few things on my mind."

"Like what?"

"I'm going to say thank you in advance, my friend." Wei Ying smiled at him. "For knowing me so well, and because you always make me feel better, no matter what."

"I think you underestimate your value." Hui Gai watched him, those red eyes gleaming. "What you did for me...I cannot repay it. Not in this life, nor the next. So whenever I am around you, it's without obligation. I love you. As a friend." He shouted that last bit, just in case Lan Zhan got the wrong idea.

"Don't worry about him. I think he's mellowed quite a bit." They both watched Bichen turn around and return to his master.

Hui Gai raised a brow doubtfully.

"If you say so. But tell me, what's on your mind?"

"We went on a night hunt." Wei Ying told him all about it. "So I'm not sure, but a wild guess has me thinking it's either little rabbit or Rumi. Or it could even be someone else entirely, depending on whether it's a friend or a foe who warned us."

"It's too vague. I wouldn't worry about it just yet." Hui Gai agreed.

"And then, when we visited Nie Huaisang, he took us to the fields on the outskirts of Qinghe. There were weird shapes in the fields." Wei Ying described them in greater detail.

"That, I may be able to help you on." Hui Gai scratched his chin.

"Did you manage to find anything on why Rumi can't touch water?" Wei Ying sighed. "If anything, that one's got me more worried than all the others. We are going to the seaside, after all. I hope he'll be alright."

"Nothing in particular just yet." Hui Gai smiled enigmatically. "I have Lor checking out the library. My father was fond of old languages." He recalled the shape shifter protesting, saying his skills were wasted looking for information. Hui Gai had nodded unsympathetically, and disappeared. Problems only stuck if you let them.

"What are you doing for the next couple of days?" Wei Ying was asking him now.

"I'm free." Hui Gai lied. If Wei Ying needed him, everything else could wait.

"How about a holiday then?" Wei Ying grinned at him.

"Of course. I'd love to come with you guys." And another thought struck. "Actually, I can keep an eye on Rumi too, if you like. He's a lovely kid. And I missed my little rabbit." Besides, it would also give him time to teach someone a lesson.

********

Uncle Qiren came to the gates to say goodbye.

Wei Ying hugged him enthusiastically while the other Lans watched in bewilderment, apart from Lan Zhan and XiChen who were used to the exuberant young man.

"Come back safely." Uncle Qiren said sternly, aiming his comments to his nephews but looking at Wei Ying instead.

Lan Zhan had his handkerchief ready to hand to his husband.

Wei Ying stared at it like it was a snake.

"I don't need it."

Lan Zhan snorted. "Yet."

"I don't cry every time we leave, you know. " Wei Ying defended himself.

SiZhui came and hugged him too.

"What are you doing? We're going with them!" Jin Ling laughed.

But Wei Ying held him tighter, needing his son right now.

"Leave him alone." Jiang Cheng chided, for once on Wei Ying's side.

Little Li Li reached for Lan Zhan's arms, chortling with her pink cheeks round and happy.

"I really don't know why she likes him so much." Jiang Cheng scowled at his daughter's weird obsession with her uncle.

"Lan Zhan is very lovable." Wei Ying defended him too, smiling through his tears.

Lan Zhan was staring pointedly at the white piece of cloth in his hands.

"Fine, you were right. But I hate leaving..." Wei Ying blew his nose noisily and handed the handkerchief back to Lan Zhan.

"The best thing about leaving home, Brother Wei,  is that it's always there to come back to." XiChen told him, smiling.

"We'll be back in two or three days, and you're like this? You big baby!" Jiang Cheng shoved him.

Lan Zhan glared at him, standing in front of his husband.

Wei Ying stick his tongue out.

XiChen smiled diplomatically at their guests who were watching everything with open mouths.

"Shall we get on, then?"