Chapter 41 Farewells

The morning was filled with the bustle of getting ready to leave. Wei Ying tried to get up early, but no amount of butterfly kisses on his face did the trick. Lan Zhan roped in the children to help out, and even their giggling kiss-filled laughter didn't do the trick.

Finally, Lan Zhan picked him up and put him in their bath, but Wei Ying slept through that too. It was the smell of food that did it in the end, and even then, Lan Zhan had to feed him a mouthful at a time. Thankfully, he was awake by the time they were ready to leave.

They just reached the gates of Cloud Recesses when a familiar carriage pulled up, and Nie Huaisang got out.

"Wei-Xiong! Ji-Xiong!" He greeted them with a smile on his face. "Going somewhere?"

"As if you don't know!" Wei Ying grinned at him.

"Alright, alright...but I'm curious." He started fanning himself.

"Go ahead, you might as well ask us. In fact, I think we have the answer to your crop problem." Wei Ying had a sudden thought. "Do you want to come with us to JinLinTai?"

"I don't mind. Are you setting off now? Or can it wait about half an hour?"

"We can wait, right Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying turned to him.

Lan Zhan was carrying Rumi. "Mn."

"Alright then. I'm guessing you've got some news?"

They sauntered back towards the Great Hall.

"I do. I actually came to see Zewu-Jun. And there's no harm in you knowing, after all, information is power." He smiled behind his fan.

"Huaisang, it's good to see you." XiChen had been on his way to see them off.

"Jiang Cheng?" Wei Ying asked, hopefully.

"He'll be along in a minute." XiChen smiled at him.

"Huaisang has something to tell us." Wei Ying told him.

"Then let's wait in here. You must be tired travelling from Qinghe."

They followed XiChen inside the Great Hall and sat down.

Jiang Cheng came in a few minutes later, with Li Li.

Once everyone was settled, they looked towards Nie Huaisang.

"We have received reports of an illness spreading around the villages. It's a type of sleeping sickness. The people suffering from it go to sleep at night and simply don't wake up in the morning. Three days later, they pass away."

"And the healers can't help?" XiChen asked, looking worried.

"No. So far, once the afflicted falls asleep, then nothing seems to work."

"How did it start? And has it spread?" Wei Ying asked. He glanced behind him to Li XiWang who had already spread out her books to see if something could help.

"At first, there were only a few cases, we didn't even know they were connected at first. But it spread from village to village. And, it doesn't seem to affect everyone. Only men, and if they are older than fifty." Huaisang fanned himself even faster.

Wei Ying could tell he was really bothered by this.

"There have been ten cases in Qinghe and another five in Yiling. You can keep an eye out, if anything of this nature were to happen in Gusu."

"You know we're leaving today...perhaps an investigation could be started though."

"That would help. My people can supply all the information you need. I have already got work started on it."

"We will keep you informed. I can send a team of four to help you." XiChen told him.

Huaisang bowed. "It is much appreciated." He walked towards the doors, and then he turned around. "I never told you this before, but Zewu-Jun...ever since my Da-ge passed, you have always been there for me. You know, if there is ever anything you need, and if it is within my power to give it, then it's yours. I shall await you by the gates." The last bit was directed towards Wei Ying. He bowed again and left.

Wei Ying turned to Li XiWang.

"Did you find anything, Little rabbit?"

"Father, do you think it could be a curse? And why is it solely affecting those men only?" She asked, flicking through her book. "Unless they have something in common, just their age and gender doesn't narrow it down at all."

"All good points to consider. Li XiWang, may I take this opportunity to tell you, I think you're already a good cultivator. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed." XiChen told her.

Li XiWang was blushing like anything, and Rumi, curious as ever, put his tiny hand on her hot cheeks.

"WinganLaZhan?" He looked over at Wei Ying.

"It's a good thing." He reassured the little demon.

Rumi didn't let go of her though.

"We should really head out now." Wei Ying also stood up.

Together they left the Great Hall.

"Make sure you eat properly." Jiang Cheng called out.

"Alright."

"And rest well."

"Okay."

"And don't take any unnecessary risks."

Wei Ying just smiled at him.

"I mean it." He thundered, trying to look angry, but tears fell from his eyes instead.

Wei Ying went up to him and embraced him.

"We'll send you regular messages. You don't have to worry."

"Are you taking that away from me as well?" Jiang Cheng furiously rubbed his face.

"Jiang Cheng, you and I know, you're just spoiling for a fight. Let it go." Wei Ying told him softly.

Jiang Cheng nodded, slowly.

"It's not good to cry when people are leaving." Wei Ying smiled a little.

"And yet, you cry the most."

"I love you too, Shidi." Wei Ying hugged him once more.

This time, it was Jiang Cheng who held on for longer.