Chapter 37 Outwitted

Having figured out where they had to go with Dunshi in the near future, they left the library with a promise from the Curator to make a copy of the map for them on parchment that they could take away to use on their travels.

They met a Jin disciple on the way out.

"The healers are requesting your presence." He told Wei Ying and Li XiWang, after bowing.

"How convenient." Wei Ying smiled and dismissed him, and they changed their path to go to the infirmary instead.

"Father?" Li XiWang took Wei Ying's hand.

"What is it, Little rabbit?" He picked her up so he wouldn't have to look down so much.

"You know the medicine is going to be a lot...how will they take it up there?" She asked, playing with the ends of his red ribbon.

"They can either transfer it over to little pots, or if they're feeling ambitious, they could balance the cauldron between two cultivators, hanging off a stick. Either way, it's not our problem."

"Oh. Alright then." She seemed much happier after that.

The infirmary was a hive of activity, and the cauldron with the medicine was ready. Wei Ying put Li XiWang down so she could check what they had done. She tasted it and gave them a thumbs up.

"So I guess the next step is to talk to the Elders." Wei Ying said. "It seems like a shame we won't be staying for the festival after all, though."

"I will buy Wei Ying moon cakes." Lan Zhan said, seriously.

"Aww! Lan Zhan, you're so sweet to me. I love you! What I meant was, after all that effort in getting them to let us stay, and then we're leaving so soon. We should head back to Gusu and make plans." Wei Ying kissed his cheek.

"We can come back in time for the festival." Lan Zhan told him.

"You know I was just kidding about the Moon cakes, right? I do like them, but at the time, it was to reinforce our agenda." Wei Ying grinned up at him.

"I will buy Wei Ying moon cakes." He replied with a stubborn pout.

Wei Ying clutched his heart dramatically.

"Hanguang-Jun! I won't survive that face!!"

Jiang Cheng scowled past them, leading a red-eared XiChen.

They requested a meeting with the Elders which took longer to organise than it should have, but Wei Ying was prepared for obstacles in their way.

Finally, hours later than they would have wished, Lan XiChen, Jiang Cheng, Lan Zhan and himself were sitting in the Great Hall. The children were playing with Hui Gai and the familiars, waiting for them to return.

"We are sorry for the delay." Jin Bendan said, not sounding sorry at all.

"Oh, it's no trouble at all." Wei Ying told them, smiling back.

It really wasn't, because they were waiting until it got dark and they could go to see Dunshi. But the Jins did not need to know that.

As it was, Jin Bendan was looking rather annoyed already, and Wei Ying had a hard time keeping his face straight.

"What was it you were wanting to see us about?" He asked instead.

"The Jin Elders must be well informed about the current circumstances." XiChen began. "This is merely a formality to keep you aware of our plans."

"Indeed. I hope our distinguished library was up to your Gusu standards." Another Elder spoke up, stroking his beard.

There was not so subtle laughter behind him.

"Yes, the library in LanLing certainly is impressive." XiChen continued, surfing over the implied insult with a polite smile.

"But more importantly, we wish to take Dunshi back to Gusu." Wei Ying announced suddenly.

"That's preposterous!" Jin Bendan said, slamming his hand down on the table right in front of him. "We will not allow it."

"Why not?" Wei Ying eyed him over the rim of his tea cup, which Lan Zhan filled again as soon as he put it down.

"The giant was discovered on Jin property, therefore he belongs to us." He continued.

"Have you asked him?" Wei Ying inquired, enjoying himself immensely and pointedly ignoring both Jiang Cheng and his XiChen-Ge, who were discreetly trying to catch his attention.

All the Jin leaders looked at one another, as Jin Ling mouthed to him, "What are you doing, Uncle Wei?"

Wei Ying simply grinned back.

"We have not asked him, but were we to do so, no doubt he would see the benefits of being affiliated with us. The Jin Sect is a fine establishment, one anybody would be proud of being a part of." The Elders preened, and there was murmured agreement amongst them.

"Alright then. He can stay here and recover." Wei Ying stood up, clearly done with them. "Make sure he takes his medicine three times a night. I think he should be completely cured by the time we come back."

The Elders all stood up with varying degrees of success, as everything was happening too fast for them.

"You're going somewhere?" Jin Fengkuang asked.

"Yes, and do be sure to look after Dunshi well. We do not know the tempers of his kind, but I would imagine it's not something you would want to see." He walked out, closely followed by the other three.

They wisely remained silent until they reached the room where the children were. Tea was poured while Wei Ying really tried not to laugh.

"I do believe that meeting was a success." He bit his lip, and noticed Lan Zhan staring at him.

"I'm not sure how you can say that, Brother Wei." XiChen told him. "I thought you wanted us to take Dunshi with us. To Gusu. And then you agreed when they said no."

"So quickly too! Do you know nothing of negotiation?" Jiang Cheng shoved him lightly, mindful of Lan WangJi's disapproving stare.

"Well, actually, I didn't want to take Dunshi anywhere." Wei Ying admitted. "That was all for show."

"No way!" Jiang Cheng shoved him a bit harder.

Bichen was placed upon the table.

"Really?" XiChen asked. "Then why did you say otherwise?"

"We know the Jins by now. They seem to want to go against us, no matter what we suggest, regardless of how wrong they are. And if we had said for Dunshi to stay, they would have insisted we take him, and to be honest, I'm dreading him saying he's hungry! Can you imagine what it would take to feed him for one meal?" Wei Ying laughed again. "Better they keep busy in our stead. And look! They played right into our hands."

"Well done, Brother Wei. I confess, I would not have been able to do that." XiChen replied, in admiration.

"It's only because you are too kind, XiChen-Ge. Too kind for people like this." Wei Ying yawned. "Let's go see Dunshi one more time tonight, explain the situation to him and leave at first light. Just to make sure he's okay with the medicine."

"That's a good plan. The earlier we get back, the better." XiChen glanced at Jiang Cheng before taking a sip of his tea.

"I miss home too. Who'd have thought, huh?" Wei Ying playfully poked Jiang Cheng. "That we would both be missing it like crazy."

Jiang Cheng agreed.

Both the Lans smiled at each other.