Chapter 151 Memories

XiChen led them to the back of the mountains.

This place was special to Wei Ying anyway, because it was on the way to the Cold Pond, and those first ever memories of Gusu were embedded into his brain. But there was also the memories of another person so important to Wei Ying, that he had tears in his eyes.

"Mn?"

Lan Zhan was still keeping his vigilance on Wei Ying's face, and as they walked through the small valleys, snow crisp and crunching under their boots. Their hands were joined in a clasp, and now Lan Zhan was squeezing them, concerned at the emotions running through and over his husband's face.

"Right now, I am seeing Wen Qing as she walked through these same paths. In those days, I know she was under the instructions of Wen Rouhan...but I believe she knew he would stop at nothing to get his hands on the Yin Iron piece, and knowing her like I did...I would bet she was hoping that if she actually did find it, that the Wens would leave the Lans alone...I used to find her often walking upon these very flagstones..." his tears were falling faster now, each hot drop melting the snow along their path.

He could see a fleeting form in front of them, perhaps it was his imagination, showing him a flash of red in between the then green leaves of summer trees in Gusu.

They were all silent as they walked, remembering the best doctor of their time, someone so skilled, that she was renowned in the cultivation world at the time.

"It is good to remember those people who pass through our lives." XiChen said, after a while. "They are never truly dead...but live on deep within our hearts. That time, and the times that came after...they were most definitely difficult to live through. Many choices were made that...turned out to be the wrong ones..." He whispered.

Jiang Cheng reached out for his hands then, and they paused as a group.

"I have never told you this, A-Xian...but what you did back then...I am so proud of you. Looking back, it's easy to say that we should have done this or we should have done that...but the ones who say those things are the ones who never had to live through such a time." XiChen came up to him, and hugged Wei Ying. "I am thanking you now, that you stood up to do the right thing, even when the rest of the world stood against you. I am proud of you, proud of Wangji's choice, to marry the best Cultivator out of all of us. And I am ashamed at myself too, because I was scared. Caught in between a power struggle that went three separate ways...I did not know what to do...and ended up doing nothing..."

"Huan..." Jiang Cheng blinked back tears, feeling every cut that had deepened upon his husband's heart. "Let's leave the past where it belongs. Today is a happy day, right?"

"Right!" Wei Ying stepped back from his brother in bond.

Lan Zhan was already present with another white handkerchief, wiping his face.

He was glad that his brother has said much needed words to his Wei Ying, words that validated his struggle to keep the Wens alive, and by that action, adhere to the principles and promise made by Wei Ying in this place, when they had let their lanterns go.

Those memories had another special place in Lan Zhan’s heart...that day he finally knew what that feeling was which burst into life every time he looked at Wei Ying. Every beat of his heart, every song that it sang was for this gentle, kind soul who only wished for peace and happiness for those around him.

Wei Ying was so special, and Lan Zhan felt like the luckiest man alive for being able to spend every day with him. Every minute, every second of his day should be spent worshipping this beautiful man, whose every action seemed to be for others.

"Come now, we should do this and then go and visit Uncle after this..." XiChen said, trying to draw them all out from their melancholy. "He has been waiting eagerly for your return."

"We are coming." Lan Zhan told him, and XiChen nodded, leading Jiang Cheng and Hui Gai away with him.

Lan Zhan turned to face Wei Ying, those silver eyes were filled with concern for him.

"My love?"

Lan Zhan merely shook his head and lifted Wei Ying's face up, reminding himself of a beautiful flower. Whenever he had wanted to look at the pretty colourful blooms that sprung up wildly here and there on the mountain paths, he would place all of his fingers under the head of the flowers and lift them up to look deeply within the delicate petals, to fully take in all of their beauty.

That was what he was doing now...except that Wei Ying was the most beautiful flower of them all.

Their lips met in a silent wish, an easing of their hearts, that they could finally do this whenever they wanted to.

Wei Ying's lips were cold at first, just as soft as he remembered, and somehow sweeter now than the first time they had kissed. He melted against Lan Zhan's body, ardently throwing himself into this action with single-minded focus, his own lips tasting the source of his favourite sandalwood scent.

Lan Zhan tasted of home, of a sweetness like no other, better than honey, or the sweet haws he loved so much, even better than the sugar clouds they had eaten on their many travels. Lan Zhan was an addiction he hoped never to be cured of.

Wei Ying broke away quickly, and this time it was Lan Zhan who pouted.

Delighted with how cute he looked, Wei Ying came back for another one, excitement like a physical thing between them.

"Mn?"

"Oh...well, I just had the best thought ever..." Wei Ying confided in him, grabbing his hand and pulling him along to catch up with the others.

"Mn?"

"Well, the faster we can be done with this and then meeting uncle, and all of that," He gestured with his free hand vaguely in the air, "the faster we can get back to the Jingshi."

Lan Zhan raised a brow, slightly confused.

"Where we can be alone..." Wei Ying clarified, waggling his eyebrows meaningfully.

The second Lan Zhan understood, he took over, leading them both now.