Chapter 61 Daytrip

Wei Ying woke up and stretched, feeling better both in body and mind. He felt a little embarrassed at having admitted to how he felt last night, but having said that,  clearly others needed to get it off their chests as well.

He raised his head to check where the children were, and he smiled to see them tucked up next Hongse. Truly, it had been fortuitous meeting them, and bizarrely, they had helped each other in ways neither could have imagined.

He turned back to the beautiful man lying next to him.

Lan Zhan was earth shatteringly magnificent. Pale and shining like rare jade, he was aptly named. His features were all lovely in their separate ways, but together, they were gorgeous...his Lan Zhan was no doubt the most handsome man he had ever seen.

"Why are you awake?"

His deep voice sent ripples of shivers across Wei Ying's body, and he rolled over, so now he was lying on top of him.

Lan Zhan opened an eye to drink him in, making sure he was alright, before checking around the space to make sure their children and then the others were also alright.

"They're all asleep!" Wei Ying cooed with delight. "And that means I can do this..." He whispered, leaning down and fitting their lips together, the slide tantalisingly slow and warm, silky and soft with love.

Lan Zhan felt his heart beating faster, and his arms came around the mischievous man, holding him impossibly closer, deepening the kiss until he was drowning in the scent of Lotus flowers and wine.

Wei Ying was sweeter than nectar, than the ambrosia of the Heavens, warmer than honey and rarer than the rarest of flowers. And Lan Zhan had a sweet tooth...

He flipped them over, Wei Ying holding him tightly, no thoughts in his mind as this blissful feeling overtook everything. The deepest fires of love were kindled, and his heart exploded in happiness.

"I love you so much, my Lan Zhan!"

His silver eyes were shining with joy.

"Wei Ying is beautiful. Wei Ying is kind, Wei Ying is loved." Lan Zhan replied with reverence. His golden eyes blazed with adoration and love. "But...we are not alone." He reluctantly adjusted himself and moved off Wei Ying.

Wei Ying grinned naughtily at him.

"You know, you can just add it to the tally you already owe me." He leaned over and kissed his cheek. "It's so bright..." He murmured, shielding his eyes from the bright glare of the sunshine coming in through the many open holes.

Standing up, he moved to the opening at their entrance.

"Lan Zhan! Come and look!" He whispered urgently.

Lan Zhan was by his side in seconds, shifting slightly so that he stood in between Wei Ying and anything that might be coming at them.

But there was no danger at present.

Instead, the land sprawled before them like a carpet full of dishes and plates. Right there in the middle of the desert was a huge area sectioned off by a great wall. There were lookout towers on the corners, and since Wei Ying's vantage point was so much higher here, they could see beyond the huge, tall wall surrounding that place.

There were many houses and buildings enclosed within and right in the centre, a massive blue disc shimmered in the strong sunlight. Palm trees lined the shores, and they could just make out tiny shapes of people moving about. Contrasting with the brightest blue of the skies, the sand shone golden and rich in between them and that city.

And as they watched, the enormous gates swung open, and perhaps twenty carts came out with just as many people. Once they were clear of the gates, they shut once again.

"Lan Zhan, do you think that is the city Zhengui De Chengshi? That certainly looks like an oasis in the centre." Wei Ying linked their arms together, leaning on him.

"Mn."

"Do you think we can go and visit, my love?" He asked softly.

"Does Wei Ying wish to?"

"Yes, actually. It would be nice to go and see something new and exciting, especially for the children. They've just been travelling with us, and I know they don't say anything... but it would be nice to show them something like that...what do you say?"

"Mn. We can go. Maybe when the sun is not so strong." Lan Zhan kissed the top of his head.

Wei Ying wrapped an arm around his waist, holding him closer. With his free hand, he held it out in the sunshine for a few minutes.

"You're right. It's too hot right now." He sat down, pulling Lan Zhan down with him.

He yawned.

"Wei Ying should rest some more."

"But this Wei Ying is not tired." He protested even as his eyes drooped closed.

Lan Zhan smiled and adjusted his body, so Wei Ying's head was resting in his lap and kissed his forehead softly.

***********

Hours later, they all began to wake up slowly, feeling rested and much brighter of spirits.

Hongse made congee for them again, smiling harder as Wei Ying made faces at it. Lan Zhan pulled out a bottle of chilli oil to pacify him, and he dug in reluctantly.

"We've got a surprise for you, my loves." He told the children after they had eaten.

"What is it?" Li XiWang asked.

"There's a city over there...would you like to go and explore? There might be candied hawthorns too..?"

His excitement was contagious, and so in the early evening when it felt like the sun was a little less burning, they left the shelter of the termite mounds. Chihong and Xinghong opted to stay behind and look after Dunshi.

The city looked far away from where they had spent the night, but in reality, it was quite close by. The massive gates opened for them, to a group of soldiers wearing red and gold uniforms. They stared warily, but as this group of people did not look threatening in any way, they didn't stop them.

"Are you here for the festival?" One of them asked Wei Ying in a friendly voice.

"There's a festival? Really? To celebrate what, if I may ask?" He said, already more excited.

"It is the annual celebration of our oasis. The Queen will be visiting at twilight if you wish to stay." The same man answered.

"The Queen?"

"Yes. On this day every year, the King comes to the Oasis to give thanks in the morning at sunrise. And his Queen, the Royal Consort, comes at twilight. You would do well to stay for the ceremony. It is definitely worth watching." He said, smiling at them now.

"By the grace of our Oasis, you have been chosen to come thither on this day. You are not from around here, are you?" Another man said. "You should take advantage of this auspicious day."

"Well then, we shall certainly stay!" They waved past those men and carried on into the city.