Chapter 69 Mischief

Lan Zhan was staring at him.

"I promise." Wei Ying insisted.

"Then take this with you."

They felt a rush of wind, just before hot lips crashed together. Lan Zhan held him so tightly that Wei Ying couldn't tell if it was his own heart beating frantically, or Lan Zhan's, and goosebumps erupted all over his skin as he melted against the Jade. Passion fireworked through his veins as Wei Ying wrapped his arms around Lan Zhan's neck.

Lan Zhan understood he had to be brave, but it killed him every time Wei Ying was away from his side, and this was a consuming pain that refused to abate. No matter how many times he told himself that it was alright, no matter how many times Wei Ying told him it was alright, a tiny part of him feared.

Perhaps it wasn't fair to either of them, this heart stopping need that raged through him, or maybe it was a chemical reaction, a gut feeling that could only be assuaged by the presence of his love. But either way, he wanted to give Wei Ying a piece of himself before they parted.

"I love you so much." Wei Ying said, breathlessly.

"Mn. Then come back to me." Golden eyes blazed with promise.

Silver eyes shone with a promise, as Wei Ying nodded.

They let go of each other to find Hui Gai hugging the children in a way that all three saw nothing.

"Okay, ready." Wei Ying said, in a shaky voice before clearing his throat.

Hui Gai kissed both the children and let them go.

"Where are we going?" He asked Wei Ying, as they transported out of the room.

"East Wing." Wei Ying whispered as they appeared in a dark room.

Hui Gai held up the tip of his finger as a white light emanated from it, giving them enough to see by. They were in a sort of living room, with couches and a chaise lounge to one side, a writing desk and chair at the far wall and a little table with a vase of fresh flowers.

The stillness of the night was all around them, and nothing disturbed the peace.

"That must be their bedroom." Hui Gai pointed to a closed door.

"Alright. I think the best thing to do is if you can get into his mind, just keep him from waking up. I'll take the Queen back to Lan Zhan and the kids, and you come when we're clear." Wei Ying said.

"Good plan." Hui Gai was smiling so brightly, his pointy teeth gleamed in the paleness of the little light they had.

"Then, good luck, Hui Gai." Wei Ying grinned back, feeling ever so much better that he was here, with them.

"I don't need good luck." Hui Gai replied, winking. "I have you, Pengyou. See you on the other side." He vanished.

Wei Ying softly opened the door.

The room was completely dark, lit only with the light of the full moon and the stars, yet it was enough to see by.

There was the usual furniture you would find in the bedroom, but Wei Ying's whole attention was on the bed in the centre of the room. Two figures lay quietly side by side, one curled away from the other.

Wei Ying approached the bed and recognised the Queen. He merely had to touch her shoulder for her to open her eyes, a look of fear appearing fleetingly, before she recognised him back. She sat up, looking even more frightened at her husband before staring back at Wei Ying.

"Don't worry, your Highness, he won't wake up just yet. Would you like to come with us?" Wei Ying whispered, kindly.

Now that he was speaking to her alone, he could see her fear was genuine and real. And it was kind of sad, because married people should not be afraid of each other, not like this.