Chapter 141 Master Dashi Part 2

Master Dashi had a thoughtful look on his face.

"Where to begin, indeed?" He mused, wistfully. "I shall try to sum up, otherwise one day on this mountain will not be enough."

"As you wish, father. We are too glad to be able to converse with you like this, and anything you tell us is a morsel to be savoured." Hongse settled herself and prepared to listen.

"Your sister, Zai Shu Xia was a kind girl, and as you know, her family disapproved of her choice of husband. When they left, I tried to look for them, to give them a home too, just like the other Flowers Of Venus. But I had no luck. Five years I wandered, and then one day, I was walking in the woods in a foreign land.

"I was tired and thirsty, and looking for a stream, when I overheard voices. One sounded familiar, though not welcoming, and the second one was far more terrifying...the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, and I broke out in a cold sweat...just hearing him speak turned my blood to ice in my veins. I wished I had not heard his voice ever, but then...then they spoke of two people, the very two I was looking for.

"In my surprise, I accidentally made a noise, and I was discovered. But it is hard to say whether or not it was detrimental...because had they not caught me, I suspect it would have been difficult to enter the Nether World without their help. It was that woman, Jian Ci, one of those Children of the Tree. And to my utter shock, she was trying to sell information that would lead to the capture of Tiaopi De Long.

"Unfortunately she recognised me and told the Demon King, Yao Wang who I was. So when they returned to the Nether World, they took me with them. I pretended to be weak, and when they were unaware, least suspecting, I managed to get away. But Yao Wang must not have been too concerned with me, because he and his minions did not chase me too far. I remember his laugh though...cold and uncaring and filled with malicious intent.

"It is a strange feeling, remembering this part."

"Why, father? Is it painful?" Hongse asked him.

He smiled down kindly at her open face.

"Not at all. How to explain? It feels like waking up from a dream. I can see myself going to all those different sections in the Nether World, I can even see myself going crazy a little bit more, day by day. But it is as if it happened to someone else. I heard a tune...and somehow my mind remembered it. And then over and over, I began to sing that song...I think it was an enchantment. Those words, they filled my mind and my heart until nothing else remained.

"I forgot my name, who I was, I forgot all of you, my darling children." He wiped a tear from the corner of his eyes. And his voice turned hard. "I hate that it happened to me. A person's memory...it is the most precious gift of all. Priceless and the root of all our suffering and our happiness.

"I wandered through desert wastelands, through the scorching heat and fetid winds, I passed through an icy waste, and nearly died. And then I woke up in a tropical forest, and Venator found me. He represented another person I could talk to...and he looked after me. And all the while, that laughter echoed in my head, and I knew I had to get rid of it, or it would drive me insane. I sang more and more to drown out that other sound, even resorting to clapping, just to distract myself."

"So...are you saying...all those times you were singing and dancing, and clapping, you were in some way still hearing him laughing?" Hongse looked horrified.

Master Dashi smiled sadly and nodded.

"That monster is dead now. You have nothing to worry about now, father." Hongse reassured him, but she looked shaken.

"How did he die?" Master Dashi inquired, a tremor in his voice.

"I killed him." Hui Gai stepped forward and spoke for the first time.

Master Dashi had noticed him before, but his gaze had skittered away from him and around him, as if he wasn't quite sure what to make of him.

"May I introduce the new King of the Nether World, and the rightful heir, Hui Gai. His real name is Diyu WangZi. And, he is my good friend too." Wei Ying said, standing just in front of Hui Gai's body.

Before anyone else could say anything, Lan Zhan was standing in front of him, his back to both Hui Gai and fully to Wei Ying, protecting them both.

Hongse stood up, uncomfortable in this standoff.

"Please, my Master is not someone who forms rash opinions of anyone. You have nothing to fear." She said, trying to smile.

"It is to be expected that Master Dashi might have some issues with anyone from the Nether World. We are simply being cautious." Lan Zhan told her.

Meanwhile behind him, Hui Gai was having a mini freak out. He grabbed his pointy tail and tugged on it, his teeth gnawing on his bottom lip.

"PengYou! Is he really defending me?" He whispered.

Wei Ying turned around and hugged Hui Gai as hard as he could.

"Lan Zhan loves you as much as he loves me." He said, confidently.

Lan Zhan snorted in disbelief.

"Well, close enough." Wei Ying went on, "and you're family. There's no one apart from Lan Zhan I trust as much as you."

Hui Gai's red eyes shone that much brighter.

Wei Ying suspected he was close to tears.

Master Dashi came forward and bowed low.

Only then, did Lan Zhan move slightly away, but not fully from them both. Wei Ying let go of his friend and smiled brightly at Master Dashi.

"You have nothing to fear from my friend. He is the most honourable person next to my husband in this universe. I trust him with my life, and I personally vouch for him."

"As do I." Lan Zhan added.

******

A/N

Dear readers,

It's getting close to my bedtime so good night, and please enjoy.

See you tomorrow!

Charlie.