Chapter 158 Unexpected

Hui Gai hated coming here.

It wasn’t the unwelcoming attention...but Baoshan Sanren herself.

Wei Ying's grandmother was scary.

He often wondered how such a sweet person as his friend was impossibly related to her.

"Demon!" She barked as soon as he set foot past her wards.

She came out of her cave, stalking towards him with a frown on her face.

Hui Gai involuntarily stepped back, shoving the letter towards her.

She narrowed her eyes at him, not taking it.

Hui Gai wondered why nothing friendly ever lived in caves, as a general commonality. Like literally, he couldn’t think of a single nice animal...

She scowled as if she could read his mind, and then he panicked as that thought occurred to him.

"What do you want?"

"I'm just passing a message." He held up his free hand in a useless defence.

As if that would hold her back...

"From whom?" She eyed the letter suspiciously before her silver eyes snapped back to his, this time with a dangerous glint. "Why didn't my nephew come instead?"

"If you read the letter..." Hui Gai just stopped the extra sass from leaving his lips. All he could hope for was being allowed to leave intact.

She still held her whip in her hands, smacking it against her palm as it left little silver sparks on impact.

She was formidable.

Suddenly the whip vanished and she snatched the letter out of his hands. As she ripped it open out of impatience, she paced while she read it.

Hui Gai watched her nervously, noting all the similarities between her and her grandson. The same bouncy walk, though hers was quite a bit threatening instead of happy like his PengYou. The same tapping of her nose as Wei Ying did, unconsciously thinking hard.

And then she fixed him with the most unfriendliest of glares.

Hui Gai thought Lan WangJi and her should have a contest...who could turn the recipient into a puddle of pity first...

"What's wrong with Wei Ying?" She asked.

"We don't know." Hui Gai stared back, pointedly at the letter in her hand. He was pretty sure Lan WangJi would have stated that.

"I read it." She dismissed. "But you've seen him. You can tell me more."

Could he? Hui Gai seriously doubted that.

"He's sleeping more and more. And his strength isn't like what it was. He thinks his energy is being diverted but as yet we have no clue as to what it could be." He replied, hoping that was enough.

And when was she going to let him go? Everyone knew you didn't just vanish when being interrogated by an immortal, especially one who could chase you to the Nether World and back without batting an eyelid.

"I see." She began to pace again, deep in thought. The poor letter was being bashed against her palm repeatedly.

Hui Gai waited.

And waited.

Finally, she turned to him.

"Alright, tell them I will come as soon as I can. I have to be somewhere first, and then I will come to Cloud Recesses."

Hui Gai bowed in relief and vanished.

**********

Wei Ying woke up to soft kisses on his face and he giggled with delight, especially at the answering huff of annoyance at being disturbed from his task. Lan Zhan liked to concentrate in kissing his Wei Ying awake, taking his time.

Wei Ying was allowed to stretch once, before being held down as Lan Zhan kissed his eyelids one by one, and then his cheeks before his lips were taken in a stormy kiss.

This first kiss of the day had them landing on a different plane of pleasure, floating in the simple joy of being together like this. Soft lips cajoled and persuaded stubborn ones to open gently, and then the sweet nectar of their tastes was enjoyed. Wei Ying pressed himself up against the hardest muscles, loving the way Lan Zhan held his waist possessively in his big hands.

This blissful awakening was a delight, a joy, an exuberance that lifted his spirit...until the tantalising smell of hot food hit his nostrils and Wei Ying's stomach replied.

Lan Zhan smiled against his lips.

"Hungry?"

"Starving." Wei Ying beamed up at him. "You know, that's the best way to wake up. Jiang Cheng and Shijie used to just steal my blanket..." He made a face.

Lan Zhan scowled at the thought of someone doing that to his Wei Ying.

"Wei Ying should always be woken up with kisses." Lan Zhan rose and extended a hand to his husband. When Wei Ying sat up, still rubbing his eyes and yawning, Lan Zhan picked him up with a yelp.

"Wei Ying promised." Lan Zhan replied, smugly.

"Yes...yes I did..." Wei Ying sighed, smiling fondly.

They sat at their table and Lan Zhan kept him in his lap, wondering how long he would be able to do this. Wei Ying had slept for over sixteen hours now...but, no. He would not dwell on that.

Determined to be brave, he uncovered their steaming noodles and they ate together.

Wei Ying oohed and aahed over his food, and it was like a balm on his heart.

Afterwards, Lan Zhan pushed the mysterious box towards him.

"What's in that?" Wei Ying wriggled in his lap, excitement dripping from his words.

"It is a reward."

"A reward?" Wei Ying turned his big silver eyes towards him, wide with curiosity. "For what?"

"Wei Ying is going to have to be brave today, and from now on. He will have to be honest with himself and to everyone he cares about, and who all care about him. This is encouragement."

The truth was dampening his spirit, but Wei Ying brought Lan Zhan’s hand to his lips, kissing it softly.

"I will be brave. We can brave together." He whispered, looking into golden eyes a little wetter than normal.

There was a flash of fear, before Lan Zhan hid it from him, distracting them both with opening the box.

"Moon cakes!" Wei Ying cried out gleefully. "You made them, didn't you?" He said, kissing Lan Zhan on his lips.

"I had help." He replied, his ears going pink.

"Who?" Wei Ying sat up.

"Rumi and Li XiWang." Lan Zhan looked proud.

"Then let's share these. They look beautiful! It's almost a shame to eat them." Wei Ying picked one up and held it to Lan Zhan’s lips.

"Wei Ying should have the first taste." Lan Zhan stubbornly kept his lips sealed. And then he pouted.

"But my love...you made them...you should have the first taste." Wei Ying also pouted.

How could Lan Zhan resist that face? So he reluctantly opened his mouth and took a bite.

They were delicious!

And the smile on Wei Ying's face was worth all their efforts. They shared a few more, with Wei Ying gushing at the taste.

Then the door was thrown open and their children entered with an annoyed uncle.

"So you're finally awake!" He said, sitting down at their table.

The children grabbed a couple of moon cakes and now there was only one left.

Jiang Cheng eyed it hungrily.

"Would you-mpfh" Wei Ying was about to say, before Lan Zhan picked it up and stuffed it into his mouth.

"They are for Wei Ying only." He said, unrepentantly, glaring at their guest.

"It's just as well. We have a meeting to go to. Sect Leader XiChen has news." Jiang Cheng was still staring longingly at the empty box.