Chapter 79 Evening

Their bodies had adjusted to their switched routines, so naturally the children woke in the early evening. Wei Ying could sleep at any time, for any length of time, so the other three rang the bell to summon food.

While they waited, Lan Zhan took Li XiWang's hands in his.

"Is Little Rabbit alright?"

Rumi shuffled closer, wrapping his tail around her waist and leaning his head on her shoulder.

"WingAnLaZhan?" He asked her.

"Of course I'm okay. Why? What happened?" She looked between the both of them.

Lan Zhan remembered that she always forgot her episodes, having no recollection of what Bai Hua had said.

"You told us not to leave the book here, and then you looked through it, searching for something. You also told Xiangfa-Jie to destroy the Eye, and they are coming." Lan Zhan opened his arms when she began to look more and more distressed.

He wished Wei Ying was awake to help, and miraculously, Wei Ying stretched and woke up immediately.

Not even needing coaxing...

Usually, it would take Lan Zhan at least a few minutes if not hours, to wake his husband up.

Yet just by his thoughts alone, he had wished for Wei Ying to wake up...and he did.

He thought back to the spicy noodles from Caiyi that Wei Ying had yearned for and then they had suddenly appeared complete with chopsticks.

Could it be, this place had some sort of enchantment where whatever you wished for came true?

"What's wrong with Li XiWang?" Wei Ying was asking, stroking her hair gently.

"Does not remember what happened," Lan Zhan answered. "And is worried because she can't answer questions."

"There, there," soothed Wei Ying softly. "You are not meant to know, Little Rabbit. That's why you don't, and it's nothing for you to worry about."

"What do you mean, father? Shouldn't I know? If I said it in the first place, I should know what I was talking about, right?" Her face was streaked with tears as she sat back to see his face.

Rumi quickly wiped under her eyes, her suffering making him worry more.

"No Little Rabbit, not in this case. I think whenever Bai Hua makes an appearance, she is only using your body as her vessel, because really, both of you are one. But what she's talking about may be too complex for you, age-wise, and that's the reason she won't explain to you properly...after all, how can you teach yourself something you already know? I also think these types of problems will lessen once your conscious mind merges with hers. She offered to do it earlier but we wanted you to fully experience your childhood first, so we asked her to wait until you're eighteen."

Li XiWang returned to hugging Lan Zhan, seeking comfort. Wei Ying spoke in a low voice, calm and soothing while he stroked her hair, trying to induce the same feelings in her.

"But father, it's so frustrating for me. I have no warning when she arrives, or when she leaves for that matter. And because my mind can't cope with whatever is happening, I end up passing out, and when I wake up, I have no clue as to what happened." She whispered, tears still leaking from the corner of her eyes.

"I know it's difficult for you, my baby. We were only trying to do the right thing for you. When we're children, it's supposed to be full of exciting surprises, fun and laughter, because adulthood comes far too quickly. All the responsibility that comes with growing up can really...it can wait. But this special time won't come back again. Every time you are born, the best times of your lives will be when you are young with no worries on your mind."

"Okay." She said simply. "What was your childhood like? What were you like when you were my age?" Tears forgotten, she looked interested now.

"Well, let me see, your father Zhan was busy being the Pride of Gusu, wowing his peers because he was naturally better than anyone else for his age..." Wei Ying aimed a cheeky grin at Lan Zhan, knowing full well that there would be consequences to pay...

As it was, his ears were already red, and as usual, Wei Ying wanted to bite them...and he giggled at the naughty thoughts.

"And you?" Li XiWang asked innocently.

"At ten years old...I was already at Lotus Pier by then, so I was busy working my way up to the head disciple position in the Jiang family. But even then, your Uncle Cheng and I would get up to lots of mischief." Wei Ying smiled fondly, remembering.

"Only Wei Ying was punished." Lan Zhan added, feeling outraged on his behalf.

He had always thought Madam Yu to be a formidable woman, but heavily unfair and uncharitable regarding her treatment of Wei Ying.

"Why?" Li XiWang asked. "What about your parents?"

Wei Ying realized that they had never actually explained what happened to Wei Changze and Cangse Sanren.

He cleared his throat, remembering his parents. Lan Zhan reached for his hand, squeezing it gently.

"My parents, your grandparents, they had to go on a night hunt. It was just the three of us, so they waited until I was asleep...but I remember...I remember not wanting them to go. Then my mother gave me her red ribbon...it was like this." Wei Ying grabbed the ends of his signature ribbon to show the children. "Apparently, I used to need something to hold when I went to sleep, and more often than not, my mother would hand me her ribbon. That was the last time I saw them...I don't even remember what they looked like now." His voice shook, and despite his attempts to not cry, his tears fell anyway.

Both children climbed into his lap to hug him. When Wei Ying felt more warmth than two children could generate, he opened his eyes to find Lan Zhan was hugging him too. His broad sleeves encompassed all three of them.

Wei Ying smiled through his tears.

"It is good to remember those who have passed." Lan Zhan said, solemnly. "Remember them well. They will always live in here, and here." Lan Zhan rested his big palm against Wei Ying's heart and then his temple.

"Look at me, I've made everyone sad .." Wei Ying laughed awkwardly. "My point is, parents are not only the ones that gave birth to you. Anyone who teaches you something should be revered just the same. For me, I lost my parents, but I got my Shijie, and she really was the best person in the world. Jin Ling's mother." He explained.

"And now you have us!" Li XiWang exclaimed, smiling brightly. "Our family is full of love, father. We love you very much."

Wei Ying kissed her nose and Rumi's nose, tickling them both.

"Yes and I love you all so much too!"