Chapter 142 Remembering

Master Dashi bowed again.

"I do not mean anyone any harm, at least until I know their intentions. Please rest assured, I am not about to attack an innocent person."

"That's just as well. We are also getting to know you too, so you have to forgive us assuming the worse." Wei Ying bowed to him too.

"Shall we continue, Master?" Hongse said, leading him back towards his seat. "There is still much to talk about."

"As you say." He agreed, good-naturedly. "My heart is settled now that you say Zai Shu Xia and Tiaopi De Long are both safe. And it is fine, Master Wei, I believe that's how friendships are formed." He winked at them both.

Now only, Lan Zhan let Wei Ying come and sit down on their boulder again. Hui Gai remained on his other side and the children sat in front of them, watching and listening intently.

"Everything else is hazy. From the moment I began losing the ability to remember, and until now, I cannot ... it feels like I am only now fully awake. So much time has passed." He seemed a little melancholic. But as he thought back, he remembered something important to him. "Did you say, Hanguang-Jun? Do you come from the North?"

Wei Ying felt chills running up his spine. He reached for Lan Zhan’s hand and pressed himself up against his body, as if he could protect him from everything.

Ever since Lan Zhan had gotten hurt under the sea, this was a constant fear in the back of his mind, and Wei Ying tried his best to not let it affect him. But he knew only too well what Lan Zhan suffered for all these years, and even now, how much he worried about Wei Ying’s health.

That was another thing on his mind; his slowly weakening strength meant that he might not be able to protect Lan Zhan, not as much as he would like, and certainly not to the degree that he was used to. His condition seemed to improve and then decline, all throughout his life, but when it had peaked and he was strong enough to carry Lan Zhan whilst flying, it had felt amazing, as if he was fully giving back to their relationship.

This tiredness was not only affecting his physical health but it was taking a toll on his mental health too. He did not like being weak at all, but this new fear only made him feel worse.

"Yes, we are from the North. That is my title." Lan Zhan was saying to Master Dashi but all of his attention was on the man sitting next to him. Wei Ying wasn't feeling right and when Lan Zhan turned his face towards him, again, he caught that scent of something different mixing with the familiar lotus scent. It was not...abhorrent...more unsettling.

Meanwhile Wei Ying was spiralling into panic mode.

Lan Zhan could be in danger and there might be nothing he could do about it? Unacceptable!

Wei Ying could feel the resentment energy, pulling it from all around him, from the air, the wind, the ground, this mountain, all his thoughts melting into one: protect Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan felt a tug in his heart and when he fully turned to Wei Ying, he saw his eyes turn from bright silver to blood red in less than a second, and he too panicked, because he hadn't seen Wei Ying like this in so long. What had happened?

He grabbed Wei Ying's face and made him focus only on himself, staring deeply into red eyes.

"Wei Ying! Wei Ying!"

Perhaps there was something in his tone, and maybe because he had always managed to catch Wei Ying's attention, gradually those beautiful ruby red eyes changed back to their normal silver and Wei Ying sagged against him, closing his eyes.

What happened, Wei Ying? Lan Zhan asked through their mental connection.

I don't know...are you alright, Lan Zhan?

Lan Zhan was confused.

Yes, but what about you? Why the change? What happened?

I thought...I thought you were in danger...I needed to protect you. Lan Zhan, my love...what if I can't?

Wei Ying choked back a sob, and Lan Zhan held him tighter, murmuring softly that he was safe and Wei Ying was safe now.

Minutes passed by and Lan Zhan could feel Wei Ying calming down, but the worry was still present. He felt it too, but his concern was more towards why Wei Ying's health seemed to be deteriorating.

When Wei Ying opened his eyes and leaned back, seeking visual reassurance that Lan Zhan really was okay and not needing protection, he was lost in the concern deep within those golden pools.

Lan Zhan was relieved that Wei Ying seemed to be in control now, but as they both turned to look around, they saw what kind of havoc had been created in those few seconds.

Hongse had created a wall of shimmering light which had deflected Wei Ying's power, otherwise she, her sister and Master would have been thrown off the mountainside. All around them, small rocks and dry leaves were the evidence of Wei Ying's tumultuous attack, unconsciously bringing assistance from his surroundings.

Next to them, the children had faces of awe directed towards their father, behind a protective clear bubble of Hui Gai's making, and when he caught his friend's eye, he gave him two thumbs up.

Debris from the mountainside surrounded them too and Wei Ying was awfully glad that everyone was safe.

"I'm so sorry." He bowed to them. "I...I kind of panicked..."

Hongse dispensed with the wall they were safe behind and grinned at him.

"It's okay...just remind me not to piss you off even accidentally."

Wei Ying smiled ruefully at her.

"Don't worry, PengYou, no harm done. These things happen..." Hui Gai was also smiling.

But Master Dashi had a look of shock on his face.

"If I inadvertently set you off, then I apologise. But please let me explain. Hanguang-Jun means bearer of light. And you come from the North. I know something about you."

*********

A/N

My dear lovely (and understanding I hope) Readers,

I couldn't resist this little cliffhanger. Please know that they help me start writing the next chapter and that's the second reason I love them so much. You guys should be glad too, because as a result, I'm never stuck on how to start and writer's block happily has stayed away from me, touch wood.

There might not be any more updates today because I have a fantastic idea for a one-shot story and it's clawing it's way out of me, plus I have to write the next chapter in Solstice Souls Book 2: Black Fire, White Flame.

Throw chocolate at me because I'm gonna need it!!

Charlie