Chapter 118 Dragons

It took them three more days to reach the end of NanLing city. They were extremely lucky to find shelter for Dunshi, and Wei Ying loved the domesticity of living in a hotel, however short the duration.

Each night that passed by, they felt rejuvenated, and feeling refreshed, it made them ready to face the open road again. Plus this time spent alone, just the two of them, felt like a healing time, something they both sorely needed. Lan Zhan was slowly letting go of the past, and Wei Ying simply missed being alone with him.

When they were with the others, aside from a few chaste kisses, the physical side to their relationship suffered, and they were both able to mend that part of their marriage in the last few days spent in NanLing City.

On their final day, they left Dunshi and Xiao Zei in an abandoned shed with Master Dashi and Chihong and Xinghong to mind him. He still was prone to running away if the mood took him, and Hongse was having to keep a closer eye upon him.

Wei Ying enthusiastically finished his meal of noodles and dumplings under Lan Zhan's watchful eyes, while he was able to undulge in a meal that so resembled those served in Cloud Recesses that even Wei Ying was shocked.

But this time, when the six adults and three children left the restaurant, they were surprised to see decorations and lanterns being put up.

There was an air of excitement floating around them, and the shops were beginning to close, even though it was quite early in the afternoon.

Vendors were packing up their wares and others who had already done so, were decorating their stalls with flower garlands and red lanterns, with the characters for dragon Festival in beautiful calligraphy drawn upon them.

Fellows had climbed ladders on either side of the street and were hanging smaller lanterns from one side to the other on a thick, wiry ropes, and to the children who had come out to watch, adults were handing them paper windmills with bright red ribbons.

Tables were being set up with elaborate silk cloths, upon which a myriad of delicacies were being laid out and as the travellers were walking past on their way to collect the rest of their group, they were stopped and offered snacks. Not wishing to be rude, Wei Ying accepted them and paused to speak with the old lady currently wrapping sweet haws in bamboo leaves for them to take with them.

"Po po, we are new to NanLing. Can you kindly tell us what's going on?"

She beamed back at him, her many wrinkles even more prominent lining her face, her dark eyes sparkling with joy and mischief.

"Of course! Today is the great Wandering Dragon festival. Today, we give out sweets and cakes, the whole town comes out to celebrate and at the end, after the firework show, there will be a dragon dance." She leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially, "and, it is even said, young master, that real dragons attracted by the noise, pomp and ceremony, come here to watch. Our NanLing is famous for the great Dragon dance, and while it is going on, while people are busy watching down here, up there," She pointed towards the sky, looking in particular at Li XiWang and Rumi holding hands and Klem in her father's arms, watching her back with big eyes, "they come just to see. You have arrived at a most auspicious time, my friends. Do not leave before you see the show tonight." She winked at Wei Ying.

He nodded enthusiastically and waved as they walked away, thanking her.

"That sounds exciting, huh, children?" He said to their shining faces.

"Will we be able to stay, Father?" Li XiWang asked, turning back to them.

"Do you want to?" Wei Ying pretended not to see the longing on all their faces. He became quite serious, as if he was thinking hard.