Chapter 46 Teeth

Wei Ying tried to break free but there were just too many of them! And when they realised that he was trying to get away, they began to bite him. Those cute, shiny brilliant baby stars had razor sharp teeth and they were so tiny that even when he curled his wings around himself to protect his body, they wriggled under his wings to bite.

***********

Lan Zhan had nodded off, both children in his lap, when he was woken by the bright glow of his blue ring, the glow that meant Wei Ying was in danger, and he had one thought: Wei Ying! Remember! Suanni told you, you can teleport! Wherever you are my love, come back to me!

************

Among all the chittering and chirping and those deadly teeth, Wei Ying heard that deep voice, the voice of his beloved and he remembered. Not even a second passed by and he was standing next to Lan Zhan. He sank to his knees, throwing his arms around his husband.

"Wei Ying! You're bleeding!" Lan Zhan picked him and laid him on the floor.

The commotion had woken everyone up, and the children moved to the side as Hongse approached. Wei Ying was still shaking, but his arms had tiny bite marks up and down each length.

Quickly, she pulled out a salve and applied it to his arms, trying to ignore his hiss of pain. He definitely looked better after she bandaged his arms up. Lan Zhan bundled him inside a blanket, holding him close.

"Where d-did y-you go, Lan Zhan?" His teeth were chattering, he was so cold.

Lan Zhan began transferring spiritual energy into him, only concentrating on that. Li XiWang threaded her fingers through his, reassuring herself that he was okay. Rumi somehow managed to crawl into his lap, trying to warm him up externally.

"It's s-soothing..." He mumbled, closing his eyes.

Lan Zhan moved him closer to the fire.

Hours later, Wei Ying woke up and stretched, but he winced in pain.

"Those little critters had some teeth on them, for sure!" He said, looking at his arms.

"Where did Wei Ying go?"

Wei Ying couldn't bear the pain in his eyes. He freed one hand to bring Lan Zhan closer so he could kiss him properly, and they both sighed into the kiss.

The children had fallen asleep again, and the camp was quiet.

"You saved me, my love. If I hadn't heard your voice..." He shuddered, and Lan Zhan held him tighter.

"The ring, it glowed." Lan Zhan told him.

Wei Ying explained what had happened to him.

"Do you know where Dunshi is? Because he was following right behind us." Wei Ying was going to get up, but Lan Zhan wouldn't let him.

"Still daylight. We should wait." Lan Zhan was still looking upset.

"My love, what is it?" Wei Ying straddled his body so he could sit closer to Lan Zhan.

"Following...Wei Ying still disappeared." He whispered.

"It doesn't matter. Please, Lan Zhan...you can't beat yourself up about something that was way out of your control. Mine too, as it happens." He sighed and rested his cheek on Lan Zhan's shoulder. "I'm right here."

"Mn."

From this high vantage point, they could see the towns stiring into life as people began their day. Shops began to open, market vendors began laying out their wares, and shoppers drifted towards them.

"Life is much the same anywhere we go, isn't it, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying whispered.

"Mn."

Hongse rose and began preparing their midday meal.

"Don't you think it's funny that Dunshi hasn't yet once said he was hungry?" Wei Ying said, closing his eyes. "Out of all the things we were worried about, I think that was my main concern."

"Wei Ying can ask him later." Lan Zhan told him. "Sleep now."

***********

Night fell and they started to get ready to leave. There was no sign of Dunshi yet. Wei Ying kept eyeing the mouth of the cave in trepidation, unwilling to return. He was happy when the ground began to shake and Dunshi did appear.

"Where were you?" He flew up to ask.

"Tired. Sleeping." Dunshi stretched his arms up, yawning.

Wei Ying noted that his arms still didn't reach the top of the cave.

"Dunshi...do you ever get hungry?" Wei Ying asked him tentatively, half dying to know and half scared that Dunshi would demand food instantly.

There was no way a single cow would be enough even if they had one.

Dunshi smiled, shaking his golden curls, a twinkle in his hazel eyes. He reached into his robe and pulled out a metal box. Opening it, he showed Wei Ying the contents.

There were lots of leaves, long and almost the shape of a canoe. They were of a dark green colour, one side extremely shiny and the underside a duller version of the same shade.

Dunshi plucked one and put it in his mouth, chewing it with an expression of rapturous joy on his face.

"That's it?" Wei Ying looked incredulously at him.

"Hmm. Tasty." Dunshi's face was blissful.

"Wow...I have been worrying about nothing!" He shook his head. "Are you ready to travel? And does anything look familiar?" He remembered to ask.

This would be so much easier if Dunshi could point out the way. But he was shaking his head.

Oh well, it was worth a try. He flew back to Lan Zhan.

"I guess we should make a start then." Wei Ying looked out across the landscape.

It was twilight now and the stars were just beginning to come out. He tried not to think about the baby stars, and concentrated on what he was seeing.

"Which direction, my love?"

Lan Zhan pointed away to their left.

"Come on, then. Let's go."