Chapter 106 Sinkhole

As the dust settled, Wei Ying's first thought was Dunshi.

What exactly had happened inside the temple? Was the structure so badly in ruins that it wasn't safe?

He only unwound his wings from around himself and Lan Zhan when he was sure the tremors had died down. Lan Zhan looked too disappointed and he pouted to prove it.

"Do you like my wings that much, my love?" Wei Ying blinked a few times, to rid his eyes of the floating dust particles.

"Mn...love Wei Ying's wings." Lan Zhan actually looked a little bit shy when he said that.

Wei Ying reached up to kiss his cheeks.

"I promise you, when all this over and done with, you and I are going to have some alone time, and then I'll let you do whatever you want to me." He beamed when Lan Zhan gazed at him with an intense stare, full of silent promises.

"I guess we should check on whatever that was in there." Wei Ying gestured towards the dark doorway.

Wei Ying turned around and made eye contact with Hongse.

"Don't worry, Master Wei, we'll keep an eye on him." She glanced at the stranger who was still kneeling, his bone necklaces making that weird rattling sound every time he moved.

Lan Zhan took his hand and kept Wei Ying behind himself as he walked towards the entrance. Hui Gai followed behind them.

Wei Ying loved this protective side to his husband. Lan Zhan knew he could defend himself just fine, but stood in between him and danger, every single time. It was nice to know how much he was loved now.

Bichen lit a blue glow to show them the way, while everyone else stayed outside. Suddenly, Lan Zhan stopped walking.

Right in front of them, a huge gaping hole had formed, exactly where they had all been laying down a few hours ago. It was hard to see anything much in this darkness, as they were a few metres into the temple main building.

But when Lan Zhan held Bichen closer to the hole, they could see....something.

"What's that?" Wei Ying leaned over Lan Zhan's shoulder, trying to get a better look.

"Want me to check it out?" Hui Gai offered.

"Mn. Please." Lan Zhan told him, before Wei Ying could respond.

"I bet that's the first time you've used that word with him." Wei Ying giggled, as Hui Gai winked and disappeared.

Seconds later, they could hear Hui Gai's voice calling up to them.

"It's safe. You can fly down."

"Well my love, what say you?" Wei Ying brought out his fabulous wings again, and Lan Zhan, mesmerised, nodded slowly.

Wei Ying carefully picked him up, and as light as a feather, he swooped down into the hole with the grace of a bird. Lan Zhan always could only look at him when they flew together like this. He was of the opinion that Wei Ying only got more better looking day by day, through all the changes that had happened to him, both physically and mentally, and what could be better than just watching his beautiful husband?

So he did.

But this flight was over too quickly, and he had to stand up, reluctantly.

"Soon, my love." Wei Ying gave him a small smile.

Hui Gai found some dry wood and lit a torch by the light of which they could see properly.

"This looks like an original temple...maybe this is the basement?" Hui Gai said, walking towards the massive Buddha statue in the middle.

There were old and dusty candle holders standing in front of the statue, and the remains of whatever was offered as alms. Old books were scattered around the place, but both Wei Ying and Lan Zhan walked straight to a cupboard on the side.

"Hui Gai, light please?" Wei Ying called out.

The torch was there in seconds, illuminating the closed doors.

"What's in there?" Hui Gai asked, watching them.

"I don't know but I'm feeling a strange sort of pull." Wei Ying explained.

"Mn. Me too." Lan Zhan examined the door.

He tried to open it but it appeared to be locked.

"This whole place seems to be the sacred grounds that the man was talking about." Wei Ying mused. "But I can't help thinking there was a reason we came here, and it's something to do with whatever is behind these doors. I've never felt anything like this before...it's like I must know what's behind here."

Hui Gai used his palm to break open the doors, the wood rotten after all this time.

"What if the boney guy has a problem with us taking anything away from here?" Wei Ying asked.

"You could always put it back later, whatever it is." Hui Gai grinned at them, his teeth looking whiter in the semi-darkness. He winked, one red eye visible for a second. "Besides, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him."

"I suppose so." Wei Ying reached inside the cupboard, relying on his fingers to bring out whatever it was that he and Lan Zhan were being called to.

As the light of the torch hit its smooth surface, rays of rainbow lights cascaded all over them, and Wei Ying brought out a plain looking crystal orb.

"What's that?" Hui Gai asked.

"I honestly have no idea." Wei Ying admitted. "But are you feeling the pull too, my love?" He looked at Lan Zhan.

"Mn," Lan Zhan agreed. "This is it."

Wei Ying examined it closely. It looked quite plain and only when the light of the fire hit it a certain way, did it emit the light show.

"Do you think it was forgotten here? Why was it left behind?" Wei Ying asked.

"Maybe the way down here was lost." Lan Zhan replied.

"That could be true..." Hui Gai agreed. "If no one knew this temple was here, why would they come here, especially because the boney guy said no one was allowed here."

"Hmm." Wei Ying tried to clean the crystal orb, and he rubbed his sleeve over its smooth, shiny surface.

That's when it began letting off a green coloured smoke.

*******

A/N

Hello lovely Readers,

Thanks so much for being patient with me, I know I am seriously behind in the updates for this book. I have not forgotten and this book will definitely be completed, so please don't worry.

I was actually writing in the Fluffy WangXian Oneshots book and got totally sidetracked, but I hope you can forgive me.

To make up for it, I shall be updating this book as much as I can.

I hope wherever you are, you can eat a piece of chocolate and be happy.

Charlie.