Chapter 119 Broken Tree

The travellers had to wait until the streets were empty before risking Dunshi to come out into the open. Luckily everyone was well rested and eager to be on their way.

The festival, the fireworks and the dragon dancing had lifted their spirits and all they wanted now was to be on the road.

They passed by the odd drunk with their heads stuck in the crook of their necks, snoring and mumbling in their sleep. The night was silent too, with just the hoot of an owl.

Without any incidents, they reached the west gate and there was a clear path that split in two directions.

"We have to take the right path." Lan Zhan reminded them as they walked ahead.

Wei Ying beamed at him, glad once more that Lan Zhan was great at navigation.

"My love?" He asked, blushing slightly.

"Mn?"

"I was just wondering...is there anything you're not good at?" Wei Ying listed them off his fingers, one by one. "Cultivation, check, music, check, being a great husband, double check, being a fabulous father, also double check, being an excellent brother, also double check, stargazer extraordinaire, check...amazing swordsman, double check, calligraphy expert, check...hmm, have I left anything out?"

Lan WangJi bent and whispered something in his ear, to which Wei Ying turned a bright shade of red.

"I'm sure that husband covered that!" He muttered under his breath...

Lan Zhan just smirked at him.

"Look, isn't that your Broken Tree?" Hongse pointed in front of them.

A huge trunk appeared in front of them, the tree clearly split by a lightening bolt, straight down the middle. And yet, one half was dead, charred with flaking wood and bits of charcoal falling off, while the other half was a brilliant vibrant green, its leaves rustling in the soft breeze.

"Isn't that just weird?" Wei Ying asked, not expecting to be answered.

"Just a landmark?" Lan Zhan asked, raising a brow.

"Hmm, yes, I think so." Wei Ying went towards the trunk, and placed his hand on the side that was still alive. And then another thought occurred to him. "My love, do you think we can help this poor tree?"

That was all he had to say for Lan Zhan to pull out the green lacquered box, the one that contained the magic dust allowing anything to grow.

Wei Ying took a pinch out of it and stretched his hand into the torn flesh of blackened wood, to scatter the magical dust.

"We can check up on it later." He said, as they walked away.

Behind them, slowly the blackened pieces of scorched wood began to drop away, and under the roughened skin, new green shoots began to stretch upwards, in search of nourishing light...

************

The path veered upwards and became an expanse of foliage and green growth, hiding the horizon, and they were left to follow the path blindly.

"What do you suppose Wu Zhubo meant when she called us by the other names?" Wei Ying wondered out loud.

"What do you mean, Dark Angel?" Hongse asked, tongue in cheek.

"Well I was just wondering if it could be connected to where we're going now...just a thought." Wei Ying tapped the side of his nose. "Maybe something just to keep in mind, huh?"

"Mn." Lan Zhan brought their joined hands to his lips, and kissed the back of Wei Ying's hand. "It is nothing to worry about. We will face it together, when the time comes."

Wei Ying tugged their joined hands up to his lips and kissed them enthusiastically, grinning back at his husband.

"Oh, I'm not worried at all, more like I'm thinking if it's a puzzle...or not. That's all, my love." He glanced at the loose rocks on the gravelly path ahead of them. "And we seem to be going upwards at a steep incline now."

"Mn. Look." Lan Zhan replied, pointing with Bichen.

All of a sudden, the foliage and bushes on the side of the rough trail fell away, and they could see the horizon clearly.  This path was leading them upwards to a huge ring of mountains, and even from this distance, they could see the mists rising from at least three waterfalls.

It was still dark, but Wei Ying was imagining what this view would look like in the morning light. Perhaps at sunrise, when the rays of the sun hit the waters, there could be a kaleidoscope of rainbows to see...

"It's getting colder too." Xinghong said, into the quiet of the night.

"I don't think many people come here." Wei Ying replied, looking all around him.

"Well, then...that just begs the question, what are we going to do with Dunshi? There doesn't seem to be any place he will be able to rest, especially if the sunrise suddenly comes upon us." Hongse speculated.

"Let's try and make our way towards the base of the mountains then." Wei Ying decided. "I can't believe that there's nowhere for him to rest...not when we've come this far, and nothing has hindered our progress yet."

"Alright." Hongse said, thinking hard. "Otherwise, do you want to take a look from the sky?"

Wei Ying was about to answer when the tightening of Lan Zhan’s hand in his, had him looking to his husband instead.

"We'll find another way." Lan Zhan promised.

Wei Ying realised from the sliver of fear rising in those beloved golden eyes, that Lan Zhan was still worried about him flying up above in unknown skies, after what had happened the last time.

"Don't worry, my love. I won't go up there without you." He promised back.

"Very well, then let's get a move on." Hongse took charge.

There was a soft breeze at their backs guiding them towards the base of the mountains, and although in this semi darkness, they appeared quite close, it was still a few hours before they were walking in the shadows of the tall structures.