Chapter 122 Hidden

Wei Ying woke up to the scent of heavenly sandalwood stirring up his senses. He hummed in appreciation and snuggled closer, loving the way stronger arms wrapped tighter around his slimmer frame.

"This feels so good, my love." He whispered, eyes still closed.

But then he remembered something and his eyes snapped open in alarm.

"The children! Where-"

"Safe. Wei Ying...they are safe." Lan Zhan told him, his deep voice affecting Wei Ying, reaching into his head through his panicking thoughts.

He held Wei Ying closer, kissing his forehead.

Wei Ying calmed down soon after, breathing in deeply. He reminded himself that Lan Zhan would not be here, so calm and serene, if their children were not safe somewhere. 

"They were hungry so Hongse went into the outer cavern to build fire and cook breakfast." Lan Zhan explained. "Wei Ying was tired?"

Wei Ying stretched, experimenting. His bones felt heavier, and he seemed more tired than normal but he made himself sit up.

"I'm alright, my love." He smiled, wanting to ease away the worry so clearly reflected in the other's eyes.

He looked around the cavern.

Dunshi was still asleep, but Xiao Zei was sitting up next to him, reading a book.

And in between them, the line of insects was still marching along an invisible path to an unknown destination.

Beside them, Hui Gai opened an eye. Klem was asleep on his chest and Oge was nowhere to be seen.

All Wei Ying had to do was raise a brow for Hui Gai to know what he meant.

"She was feeling tired with the little one. Maybe if Klem wants to join her later, I'll drop her off."

"Okay." Wei Ying laughed in embarrassment as his stomach grumbled loudly.

Lan Zhan helped him stand up and he teetered, swaying slightly.

Both Hui Gai was at his side suddenly and Lan Zhan too, looking at him with worry on their faces.

"I'm just hungry guys...it's fine." He reassured them.

Still Lan Zhan tucked his arm within Wei Ying's, linking them together and offering support, while Hui Gai hovered behind them as they walked back into the original cavern where a fire burned merrily under Hongse's favourite blackened pot.

She gave it a hearty stir and ladeled out congee in two more bowls while Hui Gai sniffed, eyeing it suspiciously.

"What? It's good for you." She grinned at him.

"No, thank you." He replied, settling down near Wei Ying with his back resting on a jagged wall. He shifted until he was comfortable, making certain not to jostle Klem.

Li XiWang and Rumi had already eaten and were playing Jacks near their parents.

And all the while, the insects were silently marching past with their curious loads.

Now it was daylight outside, Wei Ying watched the kaleidoscope of colours reflecting off the droplets of water as it cascaded to the ground. The entire inside of this cavern was lit up with iridescent colours flashing across the wet walls and illuminating the space, all the way up to the cavernous ceiling.

"I think I would like to explore while it's light...just so we can get our bearings." Wei Ying said, thinking out loud.

He was feeling hungrier than normal which was strange for him, but he put it down to having walked so much the previous night and then flying.

"Mn. We can go together." Lan Zhan told him, a faint smile playing on his lips.

But as Wei Ying tried to get up, he stumbled again. Lan Zhan caught him, plastering a smile on his face when Wei Ying laughed awkwardly, but when he caught Hui Gai's eye, there was a question in his golden eyes.

Lan Zhan wrapped an arm around his waist and walked slowly, discreetly checking his pulse when he brought Wei Ying's hand up to kiss the back of it. It seemed normal and Wei Ying himself looked okay after that initial setback.

"Just coming." Hui Gai vanished and came back in the blink of an eye, this time minus Klem. "She wanted her mother." He explained, walking on Wei Ying's other side.

Wei Ying smiled and nodded, but he was distracted by the little insects.

"Let's follow them." He pointed to the line of them, still diligently following each other through the cavern. "I wonder where they're going."

"We shall soon find out." Lan Zhan said, not loosening his grip.

He had been watching Wei Ying closely, especially after that second stumble. Wei Ying was naturally graceful and light on his feet...even after days of walking. So it didn't make sense that he was feeling off. Lan Zhan knew it couldn’t have been the side effects of the previous poisoning because Wei Ying had been just fine up until they entered the cavern.

And since all of their diets were the same, it couldn't have been something he ate or drank, because then others would also have been affected, including Lan Zhan. His temperature was alright too, and aside for his pulse being a little fast, there seemed to be no other outward signs of anything wrong with him.

Lan Zhan fervently hoped that it was just fatigue from having travelled for so long and so far.

Wei Ying was notoriously bad at saying if he felt tired or ill, and that was a major problem. He had always been the one to hide how he was feeling and in turn, it made his condition worse in the past. Lan Zhan was determined to prevent anything like that happening again.

He might be feeling overprotective but when it came to Wei Ying's wellbeing, he thought it was justified, given what both he and Wei Ying had already been through. And if anyone were to call him out on it, he simply did not care.

This man was far too important to him to overlook any symptom, however small, and Lan Zhan was going to make sure he was alright.

Now they were following the little creatures past the second cavernous room where Dunshi was still sleeping, and Xiao Zei, when he saw them walking past, decided to join them.

Onwards they walked, until the sounds of the waterfall were far behind them. The cavern became narrower and tighter, and just when they thought they would have to turn back, they rounded a corner and saw a curtain of green vines blocking their path. Lan Zhan summoned Bichen and cut away the stubborn leaves so they could pass through without hindrance.

But then, they saw a giant even bigger than Dunshi, holding a club towards them, ready to attack.